google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Post about Suicide April 24th

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Post about Suicide April 24th

I was feeling pretty blue today, and my mind drifted to the idea of suicide.

Not my own, mind you, or even that of anyone in particular. Just a general, sobering thought that a person has to be experiencing something God awful - a hundred times what I felt - to even contemplate such an act.

That, in turn, brought to mind a conversation I'd had maybe ten years ago. While it might seem a bit out of character, the truth is I thought rehashing it might do someone in trouble a bit of good.

Yes that right: welcome to my first (and probably last) Public Good Deed.

A long time ago, when the world was new and I still thought the future held riches and fame (but should have known better) I had a pretty decent job.

One of my co-workers, an aspiring architectural student, was involved in a motorcycle crash that temporarily put him in a coma with head injuries.

When he woke up, he no longer wanted to be an architect.

He also no longer wanted to be a man.

All this was before my time, but recent enough that fellow co-workers still gossiped about how he left for vacation a man and returned a woman.

I always questioned the decision. Not just for the obvious reasons, but because I wondered how much the crash had affected his reasoning.

Certainly it still played havoc with her life, as she was often sidelined with severe headaches.

I doubted life was very easy for her, and one day she admitted it.

After telling me her life story - but omitting any reference to gender - she told me she contemplated suicide on a daily basis.

She was lying; she thought about it far more often.

Not long before that I'd taken a friend to the hospital following a suicide attempt, and the subject still hit close to home.

So I asked her what stopped her from going through with it.

It was out of line she had every right to tell me to go to hell.

Instead, she told me some very good advice.

"Every day I woke up and wanted to kill myself," she said. "And every day I said no, I can't. And it didn't help, and sooner or later I was going to do it."

"So finally I gave myself permission to go ahead," she said. "I said to myself, just shut up and do it. But first I had to meet one condition."

"I had to go a week - seven whole days - without thinking, not even for a split second, that I wanted to live."

"A lot of times I'd go five, six days before I had to start over. Once I made it six and a half, and I thought 'this is it'."

"But it never happened. I'd see a movie preview and think 'I'd like to see that', or laugh at a dumb joke, and I'd be angry that. I'd have to start over"

I asked her how long this 'contract' had lasted.

"I'm at three and a half days right now," she said.

Without question, someone in a similar situation needs to seek medical help. Yet I think there's a kernel of genius in her approach.

In the course of a week - 168 hours - there has to be something - anything - that proves that life is worth living.

An upcoming episode of a TV show, the onset of spring, a good meal - whatever it takes.

Because life is too precious to waste on one bad decision.

Comment on this Post (non-AOL)         View Comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right about that, life is too precious. Besides, you never know when you're boat will come in, you'll have fame and fortune and Kate Winslet (#1 of your list of 5) will bow to your beauty and beg you to fullfill her every fantasy! :) Good blog today, hun. - Mrs. Slapinions

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry! AND, what a unique way this woman had of keeping herself going.... My ex-brother-in-law committed suicide, and I have always wondered what event finally made living not worth it to him... I can't imagine something so bleak that I wouldn't want to live, but some people must, as you hear about suicides in the news quite often... Very thought provoking entry!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Great entry!  Suicide hurts so many others, but the person who contemplates or actually kills themself isn't thinking clearly enough to think of the impact.  If so, that would really be a deterrent, in my opinion.  I am glad your friend was able to overcome the feelings and move forward, one day at a time.  Lisa

Anonymous said...

I know two people, one family one friend,  in the past two years who attemptued suicide, one was successful and is no longer with us, and one failed and now finds herself in a recovery program....I think depression runs rampant and more people think of this than we realize....  ~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

ame: Gyla
Site Rating: 10
Visitor Comments: Unfortunately, for some people there isn't anything to look forward to. People who kill themselves have already been living with continuous thoughts of suicide for a long time.

I know this because I have a family member who killed himself--my father. In my opinion, the only real reason to hang around is so that you don't force the people who love you to suffer enormous guilt and sorrow.

I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing. Just thought I'd share my perspective.

Anonymous said...

Date: 2005-04-27 23:02:42

Name: Ryan Scott
Web Site: A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
Site Rating: 10
Visitor Comments: I have often had suicidal thoughts, but haven't ever gotten close in a long time. She has a good approach though, I will probably think of that next time I'm really down..