google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Memorial Day Pics

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Memorial Day Pics

I've seen several blogs that lament the Memorial Day holiday as superficial and  disrespectful of the sacrifice our veterans have made for this country. I disagree.

While it's important to remember the fallen I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating the weekend as a holiday. For me, the idea of traveling hundreds of miles just to eat and visit with family doesn't diminish their sacrifice; it highlights just what they fought and died for

Enough of the soapbox:

This year the family met up at my mother-in-laws house, where we spent nearly the whole day basking in bright sunshine (for a change).

Aside from great food there was a pool for the girls

and a baby swing for Parker (yes, I know: he doesn't look happy - trust me, it's just a bad pic) [er, actually, despite trying three different ways, the pic won't load right. I'll tinker with it later and try again.]

 

but this pic makes up for it. Not the greatest quality, but I chose this over a 'better' pic because it shows just how happy they were (YaYa had confiscated the baby swing for herself)

On a seperate tack, I couldn't resist putting up this pic of Billy the Cat with my Dad. It gives you some idea of his size (the cat, not my Dad).

Before I forget, check out the new features in the 'about me' section, including a link to an 'intro' page, a guestmap, and (old news) my graphic. Btw, I should have a reader survey up in the next 48 hours as well.

Hope your holiday was a happy one

Comment on this Post (non AOL)        View Comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great family pics !!  i've never thought about how celebrating the holiday with family and friends is actually celebrating what the veterans died for .. as far as i'm concerned you can get up on your soapbox anytime :)
pamela

Anonymous said...

First I must say, that is one huge cat, or else your Father is really tiny. I'll bargain the first is most correct. Second, stand on that soapbox, I agree. But try to argue that point with a person who believe's the only coarse of action on that day is to stand graveside and you'll probably loose your breath before you win your point. <Alright, I admit, I got in just that sort of well, debate, this Monday> Great pictures of the family, I think they represent everything our veterans fought for.
Rebecca