google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Quote of the Day June 24th

Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2005

Quote of the Day June 24th

I volunteered at Miller Park this week on behalf of my daughters school. 

The Brewers have a program where non-profit groups staff and run vending stands during home games, taking home 10% of the take for their organization. It might sound like a piddling amount, but last year some groups made as much as $7000 for their cause.

A great idea, good cause, blah blah, but when it's 85 degrees in the shade the last thing you want to do is hunch over a grill for hours at a time.  

But I'm trying to make a good impression on the parents and teachers that will play a part in my daughter's future, so I volunteer to be the grill guy. It went fine, but it separated me from the rest of the workers. Six hours into the shift I still hadn't learned anyone's name.  

So I stop to chat with a middle aged woman working nearby. The conversation immediately turned to the heat.

 "Oh, it is so hot back here! Part of me wishes I could change my shirt right here," she said.  

Cue Danny.  

"Much as I might like to see that, it might not be appropriate behavior for a Catholic school group," I said, tongue in cheek.  

She looked at me oddly.  

"You're right," she said. "Especially since I'm a nun."

A nun. The one person I talk to - the one person I make an off-color joke to - is a NUN.  

My Dad, who was also volunteering, sadly shook his head. I think he's learned to expect such things from my karma.  

Here's hoping the next nine years go quick, huh?  

Comment on this Post (non-AOL)              View Comments

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't worry about the nun thing.....I'm sure that she has a bad habit or two!
Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

Anonymous said...

Funny...it was so much easier to spot a nun back in the good old days.

Anonymous said...

Now that was funny....sounds like my luck.  

Anonymous said...

Oh that almost made me pee my pants!! That was to funny! Good luck on the next 9 years!
Windy

Anonymous said...

This was sooo FUNNY!  I wish I'd have seen your face!! Really made me laugh this morning with that one! Thanks and good luck for the next 9 years.  I'm looking forward to the future stories of your "karma." LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ah. Well. That kind of awkwardness is sometimes quite endearing.

Anonymous said...

Date: 2005-06-25 00:15:12

Name: The Mafia Boss
Web Site: Nuns
Site Rating: 10
Visitor Comments:
O.K. Let's say mom and dad worked thier little behinds off to put you through catholic school . Remeber those days ? Sister Dorothy , Sister Rita or even yet Sister Kathleen . Well I am so glad that Catholic educations mom and dad were so proud of paid off . Do you ever get that mind of yours out of the gutter ?  Did not you learn anything in all those years  ?  How could you say that to anyone you never met before ? Becoming another Howard Stern are we ?



                 The Mafia Boss