google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Banner Ads and Other Schtuff

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2005

On Banner Ads and Other Schtuff

I've kept mum on the whole banner-ad controversy because I didn't want to offend anyone involved. Like the saying goes - as far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with everyone. Still, since everyone else has sounded off . . .

For those of you not on AOL, here's the problem:  the powers-that-be have decided to add banner ads across the top of AOL Journals. This has caused a major upheal in J-Land, as journal after journal has defected to other services or screamed bloody murder over the deed.

My opinion? Really, I could care less.

If you hate the ads and feel it violates your personal 'space', I sympathize.

But I don't notice the ads any more than I notice those littering a hundred pages more interesting and well-known than mine across the web. I certainly don't assume the writer condones or promotes the advertisers. And while I think AOL could have come up with something prettier, it conveniently blends into the color scheme of my journal.

Let me hedge my bets by saying this: I am a bit of a writing whore, which is, I believe, the whole point of writing. What did Mark Twain say? Something about how only a fool writes for free. . .

Or maybe that was my wife . . .

Put it this way: If the Democratic National Committee - for me, a mere step below the Chicago Bears/Minnestota Vikings on the 'hate 'em' meter for this Wisconsinite - wants to throw me a thin dime in exchange for an ad on my page, I'll be happy to send them my paypal address.

To sum it up, I don't really feel offended/hurt/violated/annoyed/betrayed/happy/sad about this issue. I'll keep reading those folks who've migrated off to other lands, not because they're banner-free, but because they're worth reading.

Which is, I would assume, the main reason advertisers thought it was worth their $ to slap an ad on their page in the first place.

******

BTW - here's a shout out to Vortexgirl, who put together a nice little ditty that mentioned me back on the 14th. I'd like to add more url's to my favorites here, but it appears I've plum run out of room . . . maybe AOL can use some of that ad money to buy some more space for my favorite places :)

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have known you were talking about me because my ears were ringing.  lol
That is a good way of looking at those ads.  However, anyone would be crazy to give me some money just to advertise on my site.  Maybe when I get a little more traffic, then it would be worth it.  I just keep wondering if I would have noticed them if there hadn't of been such an uproar.  I go right for the meat.  
BTW, I'm glad you found me.  That way we have discovered each other.  
Dianne

Anonymous said...

i think the ads was the last straw for a lot of journalers.  i've started a blogger account.  means nothing because i would still read everyone i've had before.  this is cyberspace, everyone is only a click away.

sidenotescribbles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good entry. At first the banners really ticked me off because they are so ugly. But now, I guess I just don't see them.