google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Challenger Anniversary

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Challenger Anniversary

official NASA photo of the Challenger crew

Today is the twentieth anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger accident. You can follow this link for a timeline of the accident, which includes audio (with transcript), and multiple videos from that day.

I remember riding in my Dad's car when they said one of the initial launch dates had been scrapped, and hearing that Christa McAuliffe had gone bike riding to relax.

That was the extent of the attention I paid to the flight.

So it wasn't a surprise that I didn't watch the launch live, but when word of the explosion spread my sixth grade teacher wheeled a television into our classroom. We spent the rest of the day watching  network coverage.

I remember being a little put off that Christa McAuliffe received so much attention. Six others died that day, but how many people knew their names at the time - or now? It didn't seem fair.

I strongly believe in the value of manned space flight, and look with regret at the two-plus decades wasted on the costly and limited shuttle program. I'm glad to hear that, with a little luck, American's will walk on Mars in my lifetime.

In the words of Commander Dick Scobee's widow "Without risk, there's no discovery, there's no new knowledge, there's no bold adventure," 

"The greatest risk is to take no risk."

Comment on this Post (non AOL)     View Comments

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure why Christa received all the attention. IMO it is the fact that she was not a professional astronaut or pilot. Sometimes we expect this of professionals who work in hazardous occupations. For instance we pay very little attention to professional warfighters being held hostage such as Pvt. Maurpin in Iraq (don't even hear it mentioned anymore), but a civilian taken hostage receives plenty of attention.

My hats off to these brave men and women, even though I think the space program as it is know, is a waste of money I hope that NASA and the rest of the world continue to strive for REAL progress in space exploration.

Joseph Brochin
http://joebrochin.greatestjournal.com/

Anonymous said...

I agree, that's probably the reason she received all the attention: the public expected the other astronauts to risk their life - it was their job. I still say that's bunk.
I must admit it made me feel better to hear that Cmdr. Scobee had taken the time to speak to the Teacher in Space finalists and warn them of the inherent danger in spaceflight.
Whether the message actually sunk in can never be known, but at least she didn't go into it completely blind.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post on my Greatest Journal blog.

My first response was from a sleepy daze without reading thoroughly through. So disregard what I say about filters and stuff. Traditional analog fax will not work over DSL. Unified systems are somewhat of a trend and are very affordable for what they can provide. I have set business up in the past with this and I use one myself at home.

Joseph