google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Family Update

Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2006

Family Update

Here at home we're starting preparations for Parker's 1st birthday.

Granted, it's in March, but we tend to make the 1st birthday a blast - a Chuck E Cheese party for YaYa and a backyard picnic (complete with clown) for Middle Child.

Parker's party will be Jungle Safari theme, with the Mrs. displaying her artistic talents with elephant invites. When the time comes I'll post an example here.

I can't believe the little guy is almost one. Granted, he's not very small. Not fat mind you - none of my kids seem to have inherited my shape, at least not yet - but solid - tall and thick, with a peach fuzz dome and a charming little smile. By high school he should be the size of a small mountain, but so far he's played the role of the baby far longer than I thought. I think his Mommy wants him to stay an infant longer than with the girls.

He started crawling in the last month, the real deal, on his hands and knees. For a few months he was content to pull himself along by his arms. 90% of our place has hardwood floors, and that method was just too convient for him, allowing him to zip from one end of the place to another in record time.

Lazy boy.

By this time both the girls were already walking, but the best he's done is pull himself up on everything from our end table to the toilet (the boy has a facination with toilet water). He's still on soy formula, but samples table food routinely and is equally attracted to the cat's food dish.

He's the first of our kids to EVER have an ear infection, being cursed with a pair of them so far. Even so he holds the record for the friendliest, most personable baby in our family. Sometimes he wakes up and plays quietly in his crib for an hour before we realize he's awake. Short of a wet diaper (which leak through far more than the girls did) he almost never cries.

He and middle child are inseperable, and I predict that in a few years we'll regret letting that friendship grow. "Makers of trouble" is how Mrs. describes them, and it is a bit like having Ramona Quimby and Dennis the Menace grow up as siblings .

But Middle Child loves him, let me tell ya. She can't get enough of him, and loves him dearly.

YaYa . . well, let's just say so far it's two against one among the kids.

Speaking of middle child, here's a few of our resident Kewpie dolls favorite sayings:

"I won't! I won't"  - said whenever you warn her that she is balanced precariously on something about to tip over and break her arm. Often accompanied by a furious head shake and side-to-side hand movement, ala hand jive.

"Thank you your highness" said whenever she is granted something by YaYa. Said by royal decree of her older sister.

"What the heck!?" - a new one, said in a cute, endearing, and totally exaggerated way. Often said with a grin, knowing she is amusing us.

"Hide, zombie" - inspired by my hide-and-seek zombie game. Often said out of the blue and right before she dives under a blanket.

"ParkerandmeandDaddyandParkerandMommyandmeandParkerandme" - her convoluted, repetive attempts at identifying a group, be it at the dinner table or in a description of a car trip. Regardless of how many times she says it, she always ends on 'me'.

"Daddy's work!!!!" - said whenever she sees something resembling our company logo, whenever we pass the place, and whenever I pop onto our website.

There are more, but at 11:36 at night, I can't think of 'em. I'll update them later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My youngest is also due for his 1st birthday in a couple of weeks and my oldest in March as well.

My youngest started walking about a month ago and somewhat resembles ET when he walks with arms flapping and waddeling very fast across the floor.

Joseph Brochin
http://joebrochin.greatestjournal.com/

Anonymous said...

Ah, the oldest is always ganged up on by the younger kids.

I remeber Dad telling me that it was part of my responsibility to keep the younger siblings out of trouble.

The suggestion that they be sold to the circus to achieve that goal was not well received.