google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Yet another book review . .

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Yet another book review . .

No, as a matter of fact I don't sit around with a book in my hands and my feet up at work  . . well, not often :) 

Okay, humor aside, that happens not at all, despite the tongue in cheek comment Alphawoman left on my last post. Let me tell you though, for years that was the best part of working 3rd shift. There were hours were you had nothing to do but read.

Heck, at my interview the woman that hired me told me to bring a book along on my first day.

That being said, I have read a whole bunch lately. Once my library card was clear, all bets were off. I've taken to reading at night before bed, in my favorite room of the house (the bathroom), and on break at work.

It helps that I read fast (duh), but this also follows my usual m.o. of binge and purge. With books I'll go over the top and read everything an author has done, or everything on a single subject - then toss it away in disgust and not approach that author/subject for years.

Today, I finished The Closers by Michael Connelly, another in his famous Harry Bosch series. Connelly, in most people's opinion, is a master of the mystery genre. I more or less agree. My criticisms however, has always been that he does make you suspend your disbelief like no one else - which means that afterwards you stare at a hole in the plot and wonder how you enjoyed the book at all. . .

I didn't get that feeling with The Closers. It had a tight(er) plot, realistic action, and the fine writing style that is Connelly's trademark. Worth a look, and a nice book to start off your addiction to Harry Bosch.

Comment on this Post (non AOL)         View Comments

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Entry Date: 2006-01-21 18:42:42

Name: Joseph Brochin
Web Site: IT Solutions
Site Rating: 10
Visitor Comments: YOur blog is definetly a noice read for another dad like me. I am now going out to look for these books. In fact I cannot recall if I finsihed the Road to Perdition movie so I may just buy the book as well.

I will keep coming back for more.

Joe