google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: XM

Search This Blog

Monday, April 3, 2006

XM

XM radio has now surpassed 6.5 million subscribers, and yours truly is one of 'em.

As I promised myself in a previous post, I'd committed to getting XM before the start of the baseball season. One, I love listening to games from Chicago (Sox and Cubs), hometown Brewers games, and the occasional Detroit or Minnesota game on the radio during the summer, so how could I turn down the chance to listen to EVERY single MLB broadcast? Two, even with the cost of the radio, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than expanding my cable service.

I'd asked for Radio Shack gift certificates for my bday to pick up the radio, but oopsie - Radio Shack only sells Sirius.

My bad.

I wound up getting it from Best Buy for $159 (originally $225, but it was on sale at Target and Best Buy matched the ad), and a monthly subscription for $12.

That hurt, but not too bad.

It took me forever to hook it up (okay, I never did manage to do it - my wife got it working) and I love it.

I love #4 (big band and 40's standards) and Ethel (grunge/alternative), and there's hundreds more to explore.

And as of Opening Day, Baseball.

Tonight I heard legendary Padres announcer Jerry Coleman for the first time, and got to hear Mike Piazza hit a home run in his first at-bat in a Padres uniform (#398).

Howabout that?

A Yankees game is just about to start . . . heaven. It's heaven.

 

No comments: