google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Election Day '06

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Election Day '06

Today is election day, and if I'm honest with myself I'd say I have failed to do my share to ensure the right folks win the day.

Take the WI Governor race. Neither candidate does much to inspire me, ala Tommy Thompson did for a decade.

But while you might right this off as the rantings of political bias, I really can't stand Jim Doyle as a politician.

As our Attorney General he was a politcially motivated public servant, taking on issues only if there were headlines involved. 

As our Governor he has somehow managed to survive a wealth of scandals, all leading right up to his front door. There's a UW building under construction that bypassed both the normal permit process and open bidding for the work; there's the payoffs from the local Native American tribes that forced him to muscle through gambling compacts that were ethically questionable, if not illegal.

You get the drift.

Moreso, his stances are wishy-washy. He fought tooth and nail to take School Choice away from needy Milwaukee families, then has the guts to campaign as a champion of the program.

He's campaigned dirty from Day One in his re-election campaign, and that's a description that says something in this day and age.

If you live in Wisconsin, throw the bum out and elect Mark Green.

Please.

* * * *

Here in WI there is also a gay-marriage referendum. A multitude of TV ads and telephone solicitors are encouraging folks to vote 'no'. They frame it in a way that leads you to think a 'no' vote is a vote against gay marriage.

In fact the opposite is true.

Whatever your opinion on the issue, I hope you object on principle whenever the supporters of a political position can win only by pretending to lie down with the competition and mimic their platform.

How strong is your position if you can't win it with something even remotely resembling the truth?  

* * * *

Most folks sign off by saying something very patriotic and American, like no matter who you vote for, just go out and Vote!

I've said it myself. Heck, I've even signed up and driven folks from the other side of the aisle to the polls.

But really, how dishonest is that?

No one really wants the other side to win, and turnout is a major factor in victory.

Ah, the heck with it.

I can't do it. I'm not cold-hearted enough.

Whoever you plan on voting for, get out there.

Vote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

Anonymous said...

Oi.  That Doyle-Green decision was a toughie for me.  I personally disliked both of them, but in the end, and I know it'll irk you, I went with Doyle for a few reasons.  But, I did have to take a shower afterwards.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/