google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Snow in Bleepin' April

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Snow in Bleepin' April

You know, on the first day of spring my wife and I saw a robin in our backyard. The first robin of the spring, on the first day of the season. How poetic.

Today, April  #@&^ 11th, I am staring out the window at a swirling, nasty SNOWSTORM that is threatening to dump up to a foot of snow here in Milwaukee.

My junior year in high school we had a blizzard in May, but that was a rare exception  . . or so I thought.

* * * *

I've never listened to Don Imus, and could care less if he has a job or not. But I think that in a culture where profanity and mockery are commonplace, and African American comedians/musicians use the word left and right, that the use of 'ho's' shouldn't get the man fired.

Talk about a double standard - not only do comedians and rap artists adore the word, the very 'politicians' who oppose Imus are guilty of perverse [reverse] racism of their own.

My opinion? Imus is an idiot, mainly because his use of the term was offensive to WOMEN. That's my strongest objection to it, and even that isn't enough for me to take away a guy's bread and butter.

In other news, charges were dropped against the Duke lacrosse players. Something stunk about that case from the get-go; a DA mad for publicity, it sounds like.

Now a woman had her reputation dragged through the mud front and center, college players were wrongly put through hell, and no doubt the city will be stuck with lawsuit settlements for years to come.  

Sigh. What a bleepin' world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Double Standards do not make it right. We all know that rap artists & comedians are not held in the regard that others are. If Tom Hanks or someone said something so horrible we would be on him. Heck, look what the Dixie Chicks got just for expressing their opinion in supposedly a free country? You also have to remember he is not representing himself on the air. He is working of a company that pays him to be impartial to treat the invested partners kindly. This is why we talk about "role models". Barkley was an idiot in the past saying he is not a role model...give me a break! Now he wants to be running for office. Ugh! If you went around saying "Ho" & then your children started to say it (boys) & your daughters had the shame & lower self esteem of hearing this then you can see it clearly. We want good models on the radio & tv. Heck, even Nick at Night has old shows like Lucy, Speed Racer & Archie Bunker, which at first he think is so nice, nostaglia etc but then when I realize my young niece may be watching & learning this I'm not too thrilled. Music is an art which is being expressed from a personal point of view like a painting. He was not doing the same. If you do not fulfill the role you were hired for & can do more damage than good then I think you should be fired. If I was the CEO I wouldn't want that liability. Let it be someone else's liability if they want.

As for the snow...I wouldn't mind a snow day! HA! Especially knowing it is going to melt soon!  :-)