google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The House on Nostalgia Ave - the mortgage wait

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The House on Nostalgia Ave - the mortgage wait

I'd load the typical masthead here, but AOL Journals is still screwy.
 
The rest of October was nuts.
 
Here we are in the midst of preparing for our vacation to DisneyWorld, we're trying to get pregnant, I was in the process of interviewing for another job, and we're trying to land a house, a house I didn't think was worth the effort.
 
And every day, EVERY day, was another obstacle towards getting approved for the 203K loan. It was a month of review this, check that, oh by the way we need this or that, etc.
 
I set a frantic approval date for our anniversary on the 25th, but that came and went without progress. (we did however, dine in the restaurant across the street from the house)
 
All the while we now heard whispered rumours of another interested party. I never fully bought into the idea, but I was told someone who wanted to 'flip' the house was now in the mix.
 
A week after our anniversary we got the news - we were approved for the 203K.
 
In theory.
 
In actuality I have no idea what 'approved' is defined as by the mortgage company, because we had yet another two months of hell in front of us. Daily calls, weekly requests for lists of documents, and so on. It is impossible to reduce the constant tension, dread, fear, embarrasment, and anger involved with buying that house into less than a book length piece, so please, trust me: It sucked.
 
Keep in mind that at this point we were not PRE-approved, we allegedly had it lock stock and barrell. In fact we had a conventional loan for twice the house's value sitting there unused and untouched. This was all about getting the 203K rehab loan.
 
In the meantime I needed the house inspected for the purposes of the loan. 
 
Eryk was the second guy my broker recommended, the first setting off a deep and instinctive warning bell inside my head. Begininig to end he - the first guy, not Eryk - sounded creepy and untrustworthy.
 
We scheduled a walk-through with Eryk. He saw potential in the house, but a lot of work too. The North and South foundation walls would need to be replaced in full, as would the electrical. There were roof problems I hadn't noticed, and lead paint throughout the house, a lot of it in cracked or peeling condition. He also encouraged me to get the water tested for lead, which I did in the days preceding our vacation.
 
No doubt; a lot of work lay ahead.
 
Meanwhile, believing I had the loan I contacted my cousin for some advice on how to write up and offer and called the lawyer.
 
Only to be told the house had received a bid.
 
Now to this day I don't believe 100% that that was the truth. A large part of me instantly screamed 'negotiating ploy' [well, really my head screamed "F**K', but this is a family blog]. So we upped the ante a bit and submitted our bid.
 
It was accepted.
 
A tentative closing date was set for the 30th, and as we left for vacation it felt in large part like a celebratory trip.
 
One closing note: that water sample? When we returned from vacation a message was on our answering machine. To paraphrase it:
 
"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Slapinions, this is X from XY labratories. Normally we just mail a result to a client but in this case I felt it was too dangerous to wait. If you are drinking the water you submitted STOP. The maximum allowable lead level is .15 u/gl. Your sample came in at 259 u/gl. It is highly dangerous and if you have kids I strongly suggest you DO NOT drink the water. Please call me back at XXXXXX."
 
So in essence, our water was lead with a smidge of water tossed in for good measure.
 
We now needed to replace our entire water supply too.
 
Sigh.  

No comments: