google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The 4th of July Post, 3 months overdue

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The 4th of July Post, 3 months overdue

The new house is within walking distance of two parks and I'd often ventured there in my childhood to watch the 4th of July parades. This year the whole family took advantage of the park to see the parade; my wife's friend and her kids came along too.

We set up shop on a corner across from the park.

As is our tradition, the kids were decked out patriotically.

We brought bags for the kids to grab candy as the parade passed, but I didn't think it would amount to much. Wouldn't ya know it they all went home with a Halloween's worth of goodies.

Parker really seemed to enjoy himself. Note how he reacts to the music.

He loved Bango the Bucks' mascot

and the Brewers' Klement Racing Sausages

At one point he even ran into the road and down the street chasing after an RC car, to the laughter of the crowd.

* * * *

Later, in the early afternoon we were going to take the kids to a Decorated Bike contest at the park, but on the way to the event YaYa's bike's chain slipped off and it had to be abandoned. While the family pushed on I took the bike home and quickly slipped some of the decorations onto her scooter, then took that back to the park.

We arrived too late for the contest, and even for the ride across thestage. I got them in anyway, and they strolled across - albeit during the 'Boys 8-12' division.

I also managed to get the kids the goodybag and ice cream given out to contestants. I seem to have a modest knack for making the world conform to my wishes.

Lisa and YaYa then decided on the spur of the moment to join a pair of Chicken Dance contests. By coincidence both were assigned GHW Bush's #41!

First prize in each division was a surprising and excessive $50, with the smallest (3rd place) prize being $25 . . and we didn't crack the top three in either!

Listen, it was rigged! There's my wife, 1 month from giving birth and a dancer for years, doing a flawless routine and they give away the prizes to two hot young things and a crippled old man who's mind gave way back in the early nineties!

Rigged! And I have video to back up my tale!

That evening we went to the fireworks in the park and ran into the family of Lisa's maid of honor, and my Dad and sister Katie joined us too. Then it was back to the house to enjoy a warm summer night in July.

A very nice holiday indeed.

No comments: