google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Thanksgiving '07

Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving '07

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

We had the family get-together at our house. My immediate family of 6, my folks, my sisters, my sister's kids, and my mother-in-law. That's 14 people, and that's with three no-shows (my wife's aunt and boyfriend, and my step-father-in-law were ill).

That's a lot of people for one house but we found room for 'em all. Adults in one room, kids in another.

Lisa's not too happy about the following pics of her 22 pound turkey. "It looks burnt from that angle. Why didn't you take the shot from the side instead of right down it's neck?"

Well, okay.. ..

Anywho, it isn't burnt, it's the rub Lisa applied below the skin. She also cooked it breast-down to let the bird cook more evenly and prevent the white meat from drying out. Personally, I grew up on dry white meat and found myself a bit knocked out of whack eating juicy meat, but that's just me. Otherwise, wonderful.

The rest of the menu? Mashed potatoes, an EXCELLENT stuffing, fresh steamed broccoli, cream style corn, biscuits, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, shrimp, and an assortment of desserts. Oh, and formula and rice cereal for the youngest in attendance.

YaYa said the prayer:

 "For food and for the roof above us

and light and warmth and

those who love us,

We give thanks"

-Aileen Fisher

Since it was at our house the event was a bit stressful, and most of the guests showed up between 20-30 minutes late!, but all-in-all a great holiday.

And my Mom, for the first time ever, managed to make it up the stairs to view my remodeled second floor, last seen by her as an unfinished attic 40 years ago.

What can I say? Parker got the holiday confused with Halloween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like lots of fun! Oh we just use Butterball turkeys...they are very juicy. My day was "ok"