google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: VH1's Top 100 songs of the '90's

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2007

VH1's Top 100 songs of the '90's

The wife and I watched much of VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '90's and had a blast doing it . . .but we were disappointed in the final 20.

The order seemed a bit jumbled there at the end (U2 at #2 - really?? - they're a good band, tho' over-rated, but either way the #2 song of the DECADE?). TLC doesn't belong in the 20 either (thank Left Eye's death for the sympathy vote), or Destiny's Child Say My Name, and Alanis shoulda cracked the top 10 - was there a more signature song of the mid '90's then You Oughta Know?

My wife agreed Nirvana would take the crown, but disagreed with the selection. [How cool that Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child called Teen Spirit her favorite song of all time?]. Try as I might, I cannot convince her to abandon her distaste for the group. As in my failure to convert her to Catholicism, I worry this too will condemn her soul.

All in all, not a bad list for your MP3 player.



100 Greatest Songs Of The '90s Full List
01. Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
02. U2 "One"
03. Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way"
04. Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"
05. Madonna "Vogue"
06. Sir Mix-A-Lot "Baby Got Back"
07. Britney Spears "...Baby One More Time"
08. TLC"Waterfalls"
09. R.E.M. "Losing My Religion"
10. Sinéad O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2 U"
11. Pearl Jam "Jeremy" - their most popular Ten song, but not my favorite at all.
12. Alanis Morissette "You Oughta Know"
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg) "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang"
14. Mariah Carey "Vision of Love"
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge"
16. MC Hammer "U Can't Touch This"
17. Destiny's Child "Say My Name"
18. Metallica "Enter Sandman"
19. Beastie Boys "Sabotage"
20. Hanson "MMMBop"
Twenty to 25 rock . .
21. Celine Dion "My Heart Will Go On"
22. Beck "Loser"
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue "Whatta Man"
24. House of Pain "Jump Around"
25. Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun"

26. Eminem "My Name Is"
27. Counting Crows "Mr. Jones"
28. Ricky Martin "Livin' laVida Loca" man I hated this song.
29. Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby" I owned TWO copies of this album
30. *NSYNC "Tearin' Up My Heart"
31. Radiohead "Creep" Love it!
32. BLACKstreet "No Diggity" true story: lacking cable and therefore videos, I thought this was Backstreet Boys until 2005.
33. Spice Girls "Wannabe" I still love Posh, but looking at them all in the video . . yum.
34. Third Eye Blind "Semi-Charmed Life" boring
35. Oasis "Wonderwall" kickass
36. C+C Music Factory "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"still rocks, and with a NKOTB connection.
37. Green Day "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" Bush bashers or not, they're great
38. Christina Aguilera "Genie In A Bottle" c'mon - who didn't think she was the best singer among the Britney's of the world
39. Goo Goo Dolls "Iris" I liked Goo Goo before they were big.
40. Color Me Badd "I Wanna Sex You Up" the ugly guy married Tamara Gray???
41. Spin Doctors "Two Princes" I'm ashamed to say I used to like it
42. Collective Soul "Shine"
43. En Vogue "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)"
44. The Fugees "Killing Me Softly With His Song"
45. Hootie & the Blowfish "Only Wanna Be With You"
46. Shania Twain "You're Still the One"
47. Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch "Good Vibrations" still makes ya move
48. Matchbox Twenty "3 AM"
49. Jewel "Who Will Save Your Soul"
50. Alice in Chains "Man in the Box" Please . .it's Alice!
51. Tupac (featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman) "California Love"
52. Sugar Ray "Fly"
53. Naughty by Nature "O.P.P." Lisa still laughs that I learned what OPP meant only when watching this show
54. Joan Osborne "One of Us" a fave of Lisa's . . catchy song.
55. Fiona Apple "Criminal"
56. L.L. Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out"
57. Jay-Z featuring Amil and Ja Rule "Can I Get A..."
58. Sophie B. Hawkins "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"
59. Weezer "Buddy Holly"
60. Bell Biv DeVoe "Poison" loved it.
61. Sheryl Crow "All I Wanna Do" tired
62. Live "I Alone" always brings back memories of my sister's ex, but I love Live
63. The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase & Puff Daddy "Mo Money Mo Problems" yeah, uh, I'll try the mo problems on for size
64. The Presidents of the United States of America "Peaches" don't remember it from back in the day, honestly
65. Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance" shoulda cracked the top 20!
66. Edwin McCain "I'll Be" what a plain looking guy, eh?
67. Deee-Lite "Groove Is In The Heart" catchy and groovy and the chick is yum
68. Will Smith "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" deserves to be here, but won't be played in 20 years.
69. Korn "Freak on a Leash" never got into them
70. Jamiroquai "Virtual Insanity"again, don't remember it, maybe because it was video heavy?
71. Arrested Development "Tennessee" Milwaukee native Speech
72. Barenaked Ladies "One Week"
73. Marcy Playground "Sex and Candy"
74. Cher "Believe"
75. Kris Kross "Jump"
76. Blues Traveler "Run-Around"
77. Ice Cube "It Was a Good Day" i owned the album. the song sucks.
78. Lenny Kravitz "Are You Gonna Go My Way" loved it back then. still catchy.
79. Meredith Brooks "Bitch" change the title and it wouldn't be here. yawn.
80. Right Said Fred "I'm Too Sexy" yawn
81. Paula Cole "I Don't Want to Wait"
82. Geto Boys "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" my cousin was a big fan
83. The Breeders "Cannonball" I loved this song!
84. Snow "Informer" I loved this too, to my shame! Still catchy.
85. Cypress Hill "Insane In The Brain" liked it.
86. The Cranberries "Linger"
87. Billy Ray Cyrus "Achy Breaky Heart" saw him in concert, and the kids love his daughter
88. Duncan Sheik "Barely Breathing"
89. Liz Phair "Never Said" saw her in concert long past her prime
90. New Radicals "You Get What You Give"
91. Sarah McLachlan "Building a Mystery"
92. Public Enemy "911 Is A Joke"
93. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories "Stay" god, you couldn't avoid this awful song in the '90's
94. Fastball "The Way"
95. Montell Jordan "This is How We Do It" LOVE it . memories of my nephews birth
96. Nelson "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection"
97. Prince & The New Power Generation "Gett Off" I love Prince
98. EMF"Unbelievable"
99. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)"
100. Gerardo "Rico Suave"  please shoot me if I ever hear this again.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol u learned what OPP meant watching this show...thats pretty funny...anyway the list is good but the songs that are in the top 10 don't really deserve to be up there...im wondering where Ace of Bace was on this list..