google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On how my kids are far from perfect and why my evening was awful

Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2008

On how my kids are far from perfect and why my evening was awful

My Mom, of all people, occasionally criticizes me by saying I want my family life to be perfect and that I'm prone to expecting - demanding - it at every turn.

Frankly, that's an empty and annoying accusation because I've never claimed perfection. I am happy with my wife, I am happy with my kids, and not a day goes by where I do not count my blessings.

That's not perfection, that's being damn lucky.

But yes, of course there are moments/hours/days (hell, weeks) when all hell breaks loose and I'm full of frustration and anger and every other emotion in the dictionary.

Take tonight as a prime example. My wife had gone out for the evening and it was my job to put the kids to bed before watching Lost. Let me preface this by saying that it is usually my job to put them to bed; I am no rookie, I am not a pushover at bedtime, and normally the process is 1-2-3.

Anyway, the kids had been prepped for days about the importance of this show to me. They'd noted my excitement, they'd asked questions about the show's premise and they dressed quickly and peacefully for bed. I didn't even care if they went to sleep, since Friday they have no school, but I did want silence and for them to stay in their rooms (not that I was dumb enough to tell them that and open the floodgates)

Either way it was two plus hours of hell. This is what a typical minute of that time was like:

* YaYa, with that evil sparkle in her eyes, claiming innocence and victimhood and declaring - with a straight face and calm pulse no less - that the other kids were interrupting her attempts to sleep.

* LuLu, ever the tattle-tale of the trio, reporting every slight, large and small, and crying because a) her cheerleader doll had 'ugly' bangs b) her cheerleader doll was dirty c) she wanted her cheerleaders audio shut off d) the blanket was the wrong one e) YaYa took the good spot f) Smiley was annoying her

* Smiley, the devil fully at work in his two year old body, running back and forth upstairs so hard that the chandelier shook in the dining room and just plain wiping out the entire second floor by throwing the contents of drawers and closets willy-nilly. It will take an hour to put it back together tomorrow.

No threat, no punishment, no coercion could stop the madness. It went on and on and on for the length of the show and more . . it is truly a miracle that I managed to choke it down and not lose my cool completely.

The most horrifying part is that they dang near killed Smiley. The girls were sick of him tossing things at them soYaYa tied a jump rope to a doorknob and the other end AROUND HIS NECK as a 'doggy leash'. It was nothing short of parental instinct that caused me to respond to his cries, since they were no more or less urgent than any of the other thousand noises from upstairs.

I went up to find him straining with all his might to extend the reach of the rope - and tightening it around his neck with every step.

My Lord!

The kicker: the baby, the dreaded and disliked resident of this house during her recent attempts to cut her teeth, was quiet and peaceful the whole time.

But, lest you think that 'perfection' escaped Nostalgic Avenue completely this evening  . . the girls came downstairs together and, very sincere, presented me a present (a tissue box with wrapping paper inside and a ribbon around it) and said "We're sorry for ruining your show Daddy". Then they hugged me, went upstairs, and for the last hour it's been a calm and relaxed household.

Take that, naysayers.

Of course, then I realized the tissue box had been full a few hours before . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO...I love it! You know I would take the whole brood in a second! That is such a wonderful memory of having children! Ahhh can't you tape the show & watch later???? ;-) Boy those girls are creative...they will be a hit with the boyfriends later! HA! Hey...you didn't have any animals get loose! :-) Lets see...my brothers put about 200 wholes in their blinds missing the dart board...about another 100 spit balls on the ceiling, playdough in the toilet, I mixed Tide, Downey & Clorox on the laundry room floor...yep I told my mom she is lucky I didn't eat that...I should not have been able to get to it! Grandma found a dead Gerbil in the laundry...I screamed when my gerbil was eating her babies. Hmmm you'll love these memories later & you'll be able to embarrass them with their dates/spouses! HA! And later...you won't even care nor remember that Lost episode! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love it, I to LMAO, my boys did peanut butter fights, footprints on the celling...lots of good things to pass on to their kids...
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

One thing for sure Dan you will remember last night for a long long time...wonder if you will remember the episode of Lost.  However I am sure if I had been in your situation I might well have been  up before the NSPCC  !!!  Have a great day  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember so well, THOSE days -- and eves.  (insert maniacal laugh here)

Anonymous said...

hahaha!  you'll be glad you wrote that night down.  
after reading that i turned to chris and said 'hide the jump ropes.'

have a good one~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Hehehe...good giggles, too sweet. Precious memories. ;)  C.

Anonymous said...

That will teach you not to get them all excited about your favourite TV show.  They only wanted to come down to see what they were missing.  Even if they only got to glimpse it from time to time.   Lol!
Thank God you went upstairs when you did!
I remember those days well...you did extremely well to keep it together.
Hope you recorded your episode?
We are re-living it all over again with our grandchildren...they have reached that age.   lol!
This was so funny to imagine.
You are the best of Dad's.
Jeanie