google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: How I spent my day - exciting aint it?

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2008

How I spent my day - exciting aint it?

A very odd day off Wednesday as I spent a good chunk of the morning in court, where my Mom and her brother are opposing each other over my Grandmother's estate and possession of my childhood home.

It's a pretty simple yet complicated situation, and for obvious reasons I'll skip the details here. One statement in particular stuck with me though.

The judge admonished them both saying he was reluctant to bring the weight of the law into what was start to finish a family matter.

"If and when I render a judgement I guarantee I'll go home that night, sleep peacefully, and forget about it. I'll never think of it again. The two of you, on the other hand, will have to think about that judgement for the rest of your lives. You'll be brother and sister long after this court proceeding is over." He then went on to urge a private resolution to the issue, although he put plans in place to hedge his bets.

Anyhow, just one additional piece of advice, this time direct from me: if you enter a federal courthouse, do not pass through a metal detector with 3 inch nails casually stuffed in your pocket from a leftover home fix-it.

The guards tend to frown on that.

* * * *

Later this evening, on the phone with my Mom:

Me: I don't care what you do, but just make sure if you wind up with the house you take steps to get everything straight before I have to go through this with [my sisters]

Mom: Oh, I know!. The girls keep saying the same thing to me all the time.  

Me: [amused]Yeah, I can hear them now: 'Get Danny out of the will now, we're the ones that love you! Get him out!' Am I right?

Mom: [amused silence, then an awkward intake of breath through her teeth, followed by her standard send-off] . . well, I'm gonna let you go . .

Me: [laughing] well, allrighty then.. ..

* * *

After court I stopped at a thrift store and got the Baby a great pair of Barbie Island Princess sneakers, in a suitable size for summer, for only 75 CENTS!

I also found a MatchBox Fire Engine backpack for Smiley for $1.50, but I didn't have enough cash, so I had to run to an ATM and double back for it.

** I have pics of the items, but right now AOL is saying it can't upload. Whatever. Fear not, gentle reader, I shall post them later! *

** 9:15 a.m - still not working, and on a different comp, different file. Thanks AOL!* * *

* * * *

Another Obama ad just ran across the TV in the living room. The guy makes so many guarantees I wouldn't be surprised if he ran a spot promising to help me lose weight and tone my quads while virtually eliminating freezer burn.

Honest and true: even if we were the same party, I'd laugh him off as a shyster. How did this guy back Hilary into a corner?

My Lord, the things these eyes have seen in only a third of a century.

But the good news/bad news (you choose) is that his recent dominance has culled from my subconsious a long recognized/never articulated reasoning behind my abandonment of the Democratic Party 16 years ago.

I reckon it's worth a post, but that'll be another day.

Not on AOL? Comment Here        View Non-AOL Comments

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you sure had an interesting ? day !  It is ever so sad when families end up in dispure isn't it. Lets hope that as the judge says...sounds like a wise guy.... That was some good bargains as well... Always a great idea !  Have a great Valantines day  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Sad situation when families get to this point.  There is a saying  " It is indeed an ill wind that blows no good."  No winners there.       Dawn


Anonymous said...

Accidentally deleted a comment this morning:

The Nail, if that would have happened to me, I think I would have peed my pants. lol....

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Remember the movie Being There with Peter Sellers, he played Chance the gardener.  That is what Obama reminds me of.  He says nothing and everyone thinks he is brilliant.

  Happy Valentines day to you and your family.

                         Julie

Anonymous said...

to spare the argument, my grandmother sold the estate and donated the 'valuables' ((their extensive coin/stamp collections)) to the collectors organization they belonged to for years (numismatics)...then split the monies into accounts to be dispersed after she passes.

it saved all the arguing...but sadly, lost that cherished home where they raised their children and grandchildren.

it's sad when those things happen...lol, don't worry i got cut out of the will too.

.....agreed, how the heck did Obama take Hilary like that?!  sucks to be a dem.

have a good one~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

My dad's lawyer knew a family fighting over millions...after all the legal fees nothing left for noone! Ya, brillant idea!

Careful...you know you do have democrat readers!

Anonymous said...

I hope you family gets everything worked out peacfully. -Missy http://journals.aol.com/ma24179/MISSYZSTUFF