google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Lost: The Economist Season 4, episode 3

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lost: The Economist Season 4, episode 3

LOST SPOILER ALERT . . . . . . . .

I enjoyed tonight's episode but it didn't grab me by the throat like 'Confirmed Dead'. Still, a lot of questions answered, and naturally, a lot more questions created.

We now know Sayid is one of the Oceanic Six, joining Jack, Hurley, and Kate (whose status seems to have been confirmed in the previews for episode 4; there had been some question about how she could be part of the official 6 [and free] since she was a fugitive).

Of course, unlike the rest Sayid is now a hitman ('headhunter' indeed) and I have to say the opening scene where he kills Mr. Avellino on the golf course was a genuine shock to me.

For a man whose life seems to be one long attempt to reconcile his violent lifestyle with his loving nature he's sure doing a shit job of it, even after being rescued from the island.

He soon sets up house in Berlin  with Elsa, a hot young woman who's employed by a mysterious 'Economist'.

 

At random but infrequent times she will be paged by her boss and go to meet him. Sayid attaches himself to her romantically in anticipation of finding this Economist and (presumably) killing him.  

In the end it turns out Elsa was herself a mole, assigned to draw out Sayid's employer. Despite wounding him Sayid manages to kill her, then sheds genuine tears for her death. Memories of Shannon's death? Perhaps.

Again, if the contradictions in his heart are so great, do something about it man.

Let me choose this time to throw out a prediction: the mysterious 'economist', this character worthy of the episode title and enemy of Sayid, is Locke. Go wikipedia the historical John Locke and note his work in the field of economics. In my mind, it's a disappointingly shallow nome de plume.

Back on the island we have limited action overall (the focus of the episode is clearly off-island) but a whole lot is revealed in small doses.

Dan, the physicist who commented on the odd way the light scattered on the island, runs an experiment that smacks of Einstein the dog's trip in Back to the Future. Like that trip, this one is meant soley to introduce an important concept to the viewer: the time difference between the arrival of the 'package' and the movement of time on the island is 31 minutes.

   

I'm thinking light-movement-time distortion equals something related to the time travel created by traveling near the speed of light. Time moves normally for folks on the ground, but for you in the craft only a moment flies by. Tie that in with Dan's insistence that the pilot stick to the EXACT bearing, and that bearing only . . How this all fits into the island . . ya got me sister.

Re: Locke's little group.

Jacob seems to have abandoned Locke, leaving him to his own quarrelsome devices. Hurley sure played his role as Judas to a T, and as a result we did learn a few things:

* Sawyer doesn't want to leave the island, and he is serious about making a life with Kate. I don't think Jack is consciously pushing her to Sawyer, but his pragmatic observations (i.e. Locke won't kill her because Sawyer won't let him) are helping thejobalong.

* Ben has routinely left the island, as evidenced by his many passports. Hence, the photo in the last episode is explained.

Confession: I really wasn't too surprised that Ben was Sayid's mysterious employer. All that talk about 'lists' gave it away. But who are the folks on the hit list? They are aware of their guilt/presumed guilt, if the look of fear on Mr. Avellino's face is any indication.

Who's the mysterious RG on Naomi's bracelet? And why is Elsa wearing a similar band? Did Sayid take it from the corpse and give it to Elsa?

Why do the boat people have Penny's photo?

And I'm sure it's just slipped my mind, but what happened to all the other 'Others'?

Ok, 5 more episodes left in the pre-writer's strike queue, and I've heard 5 more if they can get the cast and crew together in time to salvage some more of this season.

What's your take on the episode?

 

Not on AOL/AIM? Comment Here             View Non-AOL Comments


Tags: ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read lots, comment less often.  You have at least one lurkee-loo here.  Probably others.  My take on posting too much or too little?  Readers an delete alerts and read as often as the like.  Readers can also e-mail to enquire ....

I like Lost although I don't watch it faithfully any longer.  

Anonymous said...

i've honestly given up on trying to figure it out.  and i like it!  i usuallly have a tv show all figured out.  i can pin point the killer on any CSI within 10 minutes of the start.  so it's nice to have no freaking clue what's going to happen in LOST.

my biggest wonder was the bracelet...and the fact that Sayid seemed somehow 'attached' to Naomi (or her bracelet, not sure which) ...you know, the way he was staring at her body before closing her eyes.  interesting.

~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Removed from Original Post:

One of the most telling signs of human civilization is that inevitably, even the most laissez faire of activities develops rules, limitations, customs, and structure. In Blogdom, where once a golden age of 'whatever' seemed to rule, there are now definite lines you don't cross.

I believe one of them to be 'don't post too infrequently', with it's opposite also proving to be true. I know I can't stand when I get more than a few alerts a day and fall behind on my reading - so I apologize for the wave of posts as of late. In fact, there may be another tonight after this one.

I acutally seem to be writing for an audience, (albeit a small one) for a change and I greatly enjoy seeing folks comment on my site, so if one of them has to be 'dude, post less' then climb aboard the choo-choo train and send that message down the track. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying myself and I hope you are too :)

End of pandering and groveling.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I need to see this program sometime... -Missy http://journals.aol.com/ma24179/MISSYZSTUFF