google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Super Tuesday on the Horizon

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday on the Horizon

Tomorrow is Super Tuesday, when a full 24 states will get their say in choosing the candidates for President. Not Wisconsin mind you, so I still haven't had my say, and when I do it will probably  all be decided and in the bag.

Such is life.

The Democratic field is a mess, with Clinton and Obama neck to neck, but with the senator from Illinois gaining steam. Here's hoping the empty suit fails to sway the masses and Hilary wins (did I honestly just say that I wanted a Clinton to win anything? What a world!) but I think Obama will carry the day. I don't think it will be a decisive win, and as many people are predicting I think the Democratic convention will be contentious and home to a wee bit of drama.

On the Republican side it's hard to argue against the McCain momentum coming off of wins in Florida and South Carolina. If you ask me 90% of that 'momentum' is the pure invention of the media, but like I've always said, perception is nearly as good as reality.

 Florida was a close race, but the reaction in the press was that it all but decided the nomination. I disagree, but from what I've read McCain has a built in advantage tomorrow:

Not all state primaries are winner-take-all for the GOP, but in the states that are  McCain has the lead. So he can scrape by in some states but reap the whole benefit, while finishing second in others and still grab delegates. Meanwhile Romney has an uphill fight in many of the all-or-nothing states. Iin a worst-case scenario Super Tuesday might spell the end of Romney's campaign. It'll be a shame if that happens.

This is shaping up to be an odd election.  Voters will *probably* have to choose between a Democrat Lite in McCain, who's almost as liberal as the opposition (tho' granted,  he is hawkish on defense) and either a very left-leaning Obama (does anyone actually listen to the man's ideas, or is everyone sold on his charm?) or a suprisingly hawkish and middle of the road Clinton.

Take Obama out of the picture and it'd be hard to figure out what candidate is from what party - they've all switched philosophies.

My prediction: I think McCain aces the nomination, Obama slips by Hilary but not with enough to knock her out, and we all dance the dance another day.

If any of this stuff appeals to you, check out the two Electoral sites on the sidebar. Both are a wealth of information.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the weather in some states may make a difference also. We are suppose to get 5-7 inches in the evening AGAIN! And today's Fog was like pee soup! (Why do we say pee soup...there are other thick soups??? And what about stews?) Can I snag your graphic? I love it! I'm thinking Hillary will win? Hard to say...will women vote more than African Americans? Do all African Americans want Obama though? Not all women like Hillary...just a tough one. What about African American women??? We'll see....

Anonymous said...

I hope against these clowns Hillary takes it. Sorry hun, but I'm pretty sure I mean takes it ALL. The republicans put up their "best"? Really? Wow. Besides, during my three daughters most formative years a woman in the top seat would be exponentially influencial in how they view their personal glass ceilings (or hopefully they won't see or feel one at all!). I wouldn't vote based solely on gender alone, but when the republicans put up these goofs it does heavily weigh on my mind. Mrs Slapinions.

Anonymous said...

Granted, I'm not a woman, but whenever a woman says 'it's not about gender' and in the same breath mentions role models and breaking glass ceilings, it's usually all about the gender.

In a world that's produced Golda Meir and Margaret Thatcher, I don't see the overwhelming need to 'prove' a woman's worth in office.

Huckabee is a goon and McCain is a RINO (Republican In Name Only) but I sincerely think Romney would do a fine job. I don't think he'll ever get the chance, but I think the potential was there.

I still say, in my heart of hearts, that the best potential President - although he was never, by any stretch of the imagination, electable - was Thompson. Not Fred, but Tommy.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Gee, I don't like the way things are going....If McCain gets the nomination and Obama gets the nomination, I don't think I will vote, I don't like either one....If Romny gets the nomination, I'm sorry, I guess I go with the Rep... So I gues I want McCain and Clinton, then Clinton gets it all the way...

Jeanne