google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Boots, cupcakes, my hair, sign language, and a cranky baby

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2008

On Boots, cupcakes, my hair, sign language, and a cranky baby

Before we begin, let me point out that my house was clean on Friday for Smiley's party. Today, a scant 40 hours or so since the party ended, my house is something last seen in news reports about houses with 100 cats and 2 feet of garbage on the floor.

15% is leftover party mess, and 80% is the kids, pure and simple. They earn partial credit on the remaining 5% too, since I tore apart our bedroom looking for a credit card I assumed had fallen out of Lisa's pants pocket. In reality, the kids had swiped it  to use on Lu's pretend cash register.

Ugh.

Smiley, meanwhile, seems to have adopted his own set of sign-language. A quick tap with his forefinger on his cheek seems to signify his name, or 'I' or 'me'. A similar brushing motion on the same spot, in imitation of shaving, appears to be 'boy' or 'man'. 'Girl' or 'lady' may be represented by a brushing motion of the hair; that one I'm not sure of yet.

Likewise he has gestures for 'food' and 'drink'.

YaYa wrote a 3 chapter book on fairies, richly illustrated, and presented it to usyesterday. It's hard to decipher many of her imaginative spellings, but again: why couldn't she do it for the contest?

Oh, and a quick slap to my own wrist. I complain about her and meanwhile I miss the deadline for a writing contest in the local paper. Apparently something in our DNA enjoys pi**ing away opportunites. (also - two rejections in the last 30 days; waiting on more)

Irrelevant aside: I am truly in love with my size 14 black Stanley ankle-high workboots, complete with a magnificent steel toe. They've kept me dry and warm through all the 6 feet of snow this winter and protected my toes from my obsession (shared with Parker) of kicking ice, and I adore them. They're my first ever pair of work boots, but if I live to be 90 I'll always own a pair.

Lisa a moment ago: "You're blogging about your boots?"

Me: "Yup".

Lisa, with disgust: "Live high Dan. Live high."

In other news the Baby WILL - NOT - STOP - CRYING and kept me up most of the night and straight on til now. But, yin-yang and all that, Lu's been an angel, and even right now is helping her Mom decorate cupcakes for her cousin's party.

On the other hand she's downright cold about my hair. I just asked her if I could have her donate some hair to me. Her answer, a typical mix of age-appropriate speech and some lisp:

"Ur never gettin' it back. It's gone. And you should lose some weight too. You gonna be old real soon."

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

 My son has boots exactly like that, except smaller, and feels the same way.  Give me my croc's.  Kids are so brutally honest aren't they.

                   Julie

Anonymous said...

Lulu realy said you should lose some weight, that hurts.....

Neat that Smiley is trying to sign, interesting, so maybe she didn't think of a subject for the contest she liked until now.....

But it could be DNA lol

Love the boots, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

You didn't think it necessary to explain the giant dragon fly handing from our chandalier? lol...... Olivia needs to work on her tact, that is for sure! love ya, the mrs.