google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Obama, Rev. Wright, and my objection to restrictions on speech

Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2008

On Obama, Rev. Wright, and my objection to restrictions on speech

Notice anything funny about this picture? Here's Barrack Hussein Obama, likely nominee for President, at age 46  . . .

and my daughter, recent candidate for K4 lunch line leader, at age 4

It is very old fashioned, but I do put an empasis on respecting the flag. I fly it from my front porch. I fly it at work. And I get disgusted by anyone careless or stupid enough to treat it like its just a colored piece of cloth. I don't let it touch the ground and I teach my kids to treat it the same.

If you are running for President, you should have no moral or social qualms about pledging allegiance to the nation you're trying to rule.

Period.

I'm perplexed by the recent controversy over Obama's spiritual leader and how relatively quietly the whole mess was settled.

On one blog I read a verbatim back and forth that took place on a university newsgroup. The Obama supporter continued to dismiss the importance of Rev. Wright's comments by comparing it to her own casual dismissal of Catholic teachings on birth control and the like.

Hmm. Whatever your stance on birth control I don't see how that compares to:

- stating  "No, no, no, not God bless America - God D**n America!"

- preaching that HIV is a plot to kill Blacks

- spouting various other rants against this country and both Caucasians and Jews 

Remember, up until this latest barrage Obama publicly embraced Wright as "like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with". 

Nu-uh. He might get a pass on this issue because most of America wishes to avoid discussing race, no matter the cost, but I don't buy it. Put the shoe on the other foot; what if Hillary attended a church that routinely preached against Blacks, Hispanics, and denounced America; think it would all blow over within a week or two?

If he really objected to these sermons, as anyone of right mind, much less a Presidential candidate, should, then he should have left the church. Hypocritically, that's what the Obama supporter admitted she did - she left the Catholic church over disagreements with their preaching on birth control and abortion.

But Obama didn't think of leaving a church that preached hate and anti-American sentiment? As late as December of last year Obama was still appointing Wright to a campaign leadership committee.

Really???

* * *

I am glad Wright was asked to move out of the limelight of the Obama campaign because of all the reasons listed above.

Aside from that, I  whole-heartedly object to the recent spate of forced resignations on both sides.

Someone says something harsh about their candidates opponent, the media and the opposition have a tizzy, a resignation is accepted. It's happened for both Obama and Clinton (with the most famous being the Ferraro backlash).

Here's my take:

A. This is America. Let 'em talk.

B. This is American politics. Like it or hate it, aggressive attacks are part of the game. Live with it.

C. None of these people (again, Wright isn't part of this equation) said anything so horrible as to warrant the attention they've received. Frankly, I don't think they're saying anything a vast number of their supporters haven't already thought.

So far the motto of the year is "shut your mouth, don't mention race or gender, and if you dare speak, have your resume ready".

Way to promote free speech. Woo-hoo!

                               Not on AOL/AIM? Comment here!

 


Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to get a real grasp on who's who with the slanted media input. I agree, they should say what they want. Remember, if one doesn't speak, it's thought one is stupid. Once they speak, then you know for sure who's stupid. If Obama  gets the democratic nomination, there'll be a lot of democrats voting republican. Count on it.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

That picture speaks volumes. Given that Obama has been involved in politics for a while now, you would of thought that someone, somewhere would of taken him aside and asked him "what the hell are you thinking? Attending this church that speaks out so badly about our country?"  His answers of I wasn't there, I don't remember those speeches, just are ridculous and race issue or not....truth is truth no matter what shade it come in.  Be well, Sandi

Anonymous said...

What a sad mess we're becoming...  I'm not hopeful about ANY candidate this go 'round. ;)  C.