google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Things aren't perfect

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Things aren't perfect

This post is heavily edited for content, as I sagely had the Mrs. preview the piece. Not that any of it was awful, but it was, as Lisa said "more appropriate for our scrapbook' then public consumption.

Lest you need a reminder that things are not always golden in the Slapinions household:

I cannot stand the baby at this moment. While 90% healthy now, she is spoiled from all the attention she received and kept me up most of the night.

Naturally then, my work phone rang non-stop at 8 o'clock  on a Saturday morning. The lousy thing about that Nextel - well, except for being REQUIRED to answer it, which is and always will be the 'worst' thing - is that the voice mail is obnoxious. Get a message and it will alert you, loud and clear, every couple of minutes until Christ himself returns to shut it off.

And then someone was knocking on my front door . . Sigh.

Meanwhile we spent all evening/night/most of the morning with no heat on the ground floor, and it was a pretty cold night too. I assumed the thermostat had gone kablooey, as I couldn't see anything wrong with the furnace. Then I had a sinking suspicion and looked at the 'on/off light-switch'  breaker on the side of the furnace. The switch was shiny and new.

That furnace is older than me. Nothing on me is shiny and new anymore, much less something on a device that spends its time in the basement. Sure enough, one of the kids (Smiley????!!!!) had flipped it off. A second later we had heat again.

&^&^%$#

I had managed to farm off the two oldest late Friday eveinng, for all the good that did me. My sister Katie helped them pack their things, and I went upstairs to find her stuffing a comforter set into a plastic bag.

"What the hell are you doing?" I said.

"Packing YaYa's sleeping bag," she said.

"That's not a sleeping bag, that's her whole bedset," I said.

"No it's not, she said that's her sleeping bag"

"I don't care if she said that was a bleeping battleship, have you ever seen a sleeping bag like that? YaYa! Quit messing with your Aunt or you're gonna stay home and go to bed!"

[Just a few hours before she had watched me pick carefully through our full garbage can looking for a $10 bill I'd lost; sure enough I found it.

Kiddingly I roared to her "Did you throw this away?"

She looked at me with distaste. It should be noted that YaYa has a reputation as . . well, part Scrooge when it comes to money.

"Dad, the day I ever throw away money is the day the cats fly"]

She also thought to 'treat' us to a 'snack' of pretzels that she dipped in yogurt and left out to dry. I tried them, and they weren't all that bad. "Oh good," she said. "I was worried. I guess I'll try one now"

Later she also admitted to spilling yogurt all over this keyboard, which was SO much fun to clean up and just VASTLY improved typing. Why, it's like a game - how many stuck keys can you find in a given sentence?

* * *

Oh, btw I just discovered we're out of toilet paper; guess how I know?????

* * *

I have to go, the baby's bawling. &*(&@#

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, boy did you have a bad day.....Sorry to hear, but in years to come you will smile and beleive me wish thoses days were back....As the kids get older and go on their way.....and your house is quite....you will wish for these day....

Again I'm sorry about your bad day....

God Bless your home

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Ouch, man. Time to pull a Scarlett O'Hara and say, "Tomorrow is another day."

I hope tomorrow is better!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a dreadful day my friend.  Trust me when I say, one day you will wish for a crying baby and yogart dipped pretzels in the house.  Have a good Sunday to take away today.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

You will get through it, repeat as a mantra...it's amazing that kids survive to adulthood...lol...be well..Sandi

Anonymous said...

Bahahahahahahaha! Thanks for the laughs! I needed them! Man, I would take that life though any day! You will cherish these moments in your old age! Jot them down in a journal so you can tell them how much they owe you later HA!

Anonymous said...

and here is me always telling you what a wonderful family you have.  Perhaps you would like to parcel them up and send them over to me...'specially baby....Mind you just for a wee while  then you cna have her back !!  Hope that last night was a bit quieter.  Why I wonder do we have to have teeth ? Babies look ok without them...we suffer to have them, suffer to get rid of the, suffer to get another set,,,sure there is a fault in our make up somehwere x   Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

AHAHA!...oh the joys of parenthood...who's idea was it, anyway?...;)  C.