google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Bleepin' Home Improvement Salesmen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bleepin' Home Improvement Salesmen

You know, I'm starting to get a little insulted by all these contractors who stop by my house to solicit work.

Yes, I know the roof is old and has seen better days. That's why wer're looking to replace it. Yes, I also know the windows are old enough to have seen FDR's first term. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks ever so much for leaving the one thousandth home improvement flyer on my screen door.

But the kicker? The lawn service that stopped by last year with a flyer advertising a $19.95 special,  took a look at my barren and brown lawn, then crossed out the sale price and scribbled 'call me for a quote'.

That was last year, mind you, before a summer's worth of lawn work and seeding.

Tonight I was feeding the kids dinner when Smiley ran in and grunted, gesturing to the front door. There again was a contractor, this one looking to give me a quote on the windows.

As it turns out the windows are one of the three things we are hoping to have done this year, so I asked him to return at a better time - Lis, that means Friday at 7 pm - but geesh.

I suppose just by agreeing to the estimate I validated his approach, but doesn't anyone ever just reach out and slap them?

Even as I was signing up I was nursing a grudge.

"Did you stop at every house on the block, or just the ones that looked like sh**?" I asked.

He hesitated, gauged my temper, deemed me genial, and laughed. "Not every house, but a lot of them. See you Friday."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did not have a good day today.  Deep breath and take one day at a time.

I know...........some days just stink!

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

those are the times I'm grateful that we are renting; all I have to do is say "we're renters" and they just smile and tell us to have a good day :)

betty

Anonymous said...

I love the one's that call and want to give me free siding if I'll let them use my house as an example.  I actually told a couple of them to come on out and we'd talk.  BTW, I live in an apartment.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

We live on a military post, so no solicitation allowed. However, when we've rented houses, we've always had a sign prominently displayed saying "No Solicitation." It usually kept most canvasers at bay.  Estela

Anonymous said...

We live kind of in the country, so get very few solicitors.  We are very thankfull :o)

Anonymous said...

I think they are funny, I remember once when I owned my home and had lawn care service, I was lift a note stating that my lawn needed help.....Please...

We had a painter come by and wanted to paint the siding of our home...I wasn't home, but my husband said yes...I think that was the best 300.00 I spent on that house, the paint lasted for years...

I hope you have a better day

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

LOL.

the joys of home ownership.

Anonymous said...

At least your not getting solicitations for cemetary plots!  I wasn't even 40 when I started getting letters to buy my plot now!  Have a good week!  Karen

Anonymous said...

We very rarely have someone stop by to solicit work--not because our house is in perfect condition, but because we're kind of out in the country. There's plenty to be said for the boondocks!

Hope the windows don't set you back too much.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Phone solicitations are fun, too. My dad always liked to tell of the guy who wanted to sell him aluminum siding for his second-story apartment, which was brick-faced.
;^) Jan the Gryphon