google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: How Vain am I to have two posts about my rinky-dink weekend?

Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2008

How Vain am I to have two posts about my rinky-dink weekend?

At work on Friday I had a hamburger that was, honest and true, perhaps 8 inches in diameter if not more.

It was a freaking  pie, with 16 solid ounces of meat. Most places advertise 'one pound' and mean pre-cooked weight; these slaves to obesity must take that as an affront and weigh it right before it hits the bun.

It was so large I cut it in half to take home to Lisa.

Sadly, having no sense of, oh, what do the Brazilians call it,  portion control, I ate the whole thing anyway.

Then that night Lisa decides to order takeout from someplace we'd never heard of before. When it arrives guess what joint it came from?

There was enough food to feed six people.

Gotta love this city.

* * * *

My work Nextel broke over the weekend and apparently is unrepairable. The tech labeled it 'water damage', which is a bit funny since it worked fine right before I put it on my nightstand Friday night and didn't work when I picked it up from the same dry spot some six hours later.

About the only thing I haven't done to that phone over the years is expose it to water.

It was rather freaky being out of contact for the first time in years. I didn't even want to leave the house, imagining all kinds of dire situations that could come up to haunt me.

Don't forget, in every movie what's the first thing the screenwriters do? They knock out the guys cellphone so he doesn't have a logical way of reaching help or solving the dilemma.

As I told LuLu in jest, as she was begging to go with me to the store: "I don't want to go Lu, I don't have my phone. For ten thousand years mankind lived in fear and never left their houses, EVER, and do you know why? Because they didn't have cell phones. Honest. It's true."

Even she didn't buy it.

* * * *

Smiley's teacher says it looks like he will need 2 or 3 years of special ed to cope with his speech, as she says he really doesn't seem to be able to talk no matter how hard he tries. This probably puts the kibosh on the montessori school he was accepted to, the same one we could never get his big sisters into. It's a shame.

On the other hand Lisa complimented me. "You're talking to him like a grown-up a lot more lately."

How did I talk to him before? I asked

"You didn't talk to him much at all. And when you did, you acted like he was still a baby."

Well, that's a blow to the ego, but she's probably right. It was hard to see his intelligence when he didn't speak and never responded to you (due to his hearing). Now he seems like a very caring, very sweet, very smiley, VERY mischeivious little boy.

* * * * *

To end on a positive note: I took Smiley and the Baby on a 50 minute walk in the double stroller on Saturday, taking advantage of a beautiful 50(F) degree day to show off the neighborhood to the Baby, who's only memories are probably of snow piles.

They both loved it, with the baby smiling non-stop before she dozed off. Later we played in the backyard, where Smiley displayed a small fear of nightcrawlers. 

 At half his age YaYa would have been rolling them around in her hand. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each child is different in their own ways. I had three of my own and each one shone in their own right...their talents will come through. Yuck on the bugs by the way..lol...be well, Sandi

Anonymous said...

Just love that Smiley, and he will hold his own....just you wait....

He just might not like worms, but he seemed to like the bugs on his birthday...


lol

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Every child is different and unique.  Ya Ya has that mischeivious look in her pictures.  I'll bet there isn't much that scares her.
Joyce