google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

I'm the first to admit, I thought this movie would  be a bore. If you saw the previews you couldn't help but walk away with that impression.

A magic toy store you say? Run by a foppish eccentric who acts like a child and talks like the Mad Hatter?  What's that? The shop horribly rendered silent and still when the youngin' loses her faith in it? Oh my - perhaps, maybe, well, do ya think? - maybe believing in yourself will right all the wrongs and restore magic and happiness to children everywhere!

Tonight, when our DVD copy of The Water Horse failed to work, the family sat down and ordered this movie on pay-per-view despite those previews.

And wouldn't you know it, the movie was a pip. We all loved it (although Lu and Smiley couldn't make it through the whole thing).

Forget the preview, even if it does give you the skeleton of the story; after all, it's the meat and heart that really count.

Hoffmann is wonderful as Magorium, genuinely funny and delightful - he rather reminded me of a Troughton Dr. Who to be honest - and the story is about, of all things, his impending death and the handing off of the store to his young assistant, played by Natalie Portman.

I thought Portman was adequate, but not much more, and her unusually short hair confused the girls ("Is that a boy or a girl?" both YaYa and LuLu said at different times). In addition I'd have chopped 10 minutes or so from the third act.

That aside,  I'm going to add this movie to our regular kid-friendly rotation. It was grand.

And I'll probably watch it again just to snag a few of Magorium's quips.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie and also had the same suspicians you had.  Got it for my grandson while I was watching him one evening and it was terrific.  It's a must see over, I agree.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Yea, we loved that one too.  Just watched it last week...that and the Water Horse.

Anonymous said...

Glad you all enjoyed the video.  sounds good to me. Although I havn't seen it over here.      I have the BBC news on at the moment and they have just told me the great news...Petrol  (gas) has just reached £5 a gallon...I think the $ is about $2 =£1  so think that works out at $10 a gallon. OMG !!  it is reckoned the cost has gone up about 16% over the year.  It is going to make big inroads in our pocket thats for sure.  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

I have been surprised many times over the past few years by movies that I thought (based on the preview) would be a tired cliche.  But I've been proved wrong too many times.  This movie was a good one.  My son and I saw it at the movies on one of our mother/son outings and we both enjoyed it very much. Guess I need to rent it again soon (Netflix) so the rest of the family can enjoy it as well.   Estela http://journals.aol.com/easteeleco/Lasttimeatbat

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed it too much to my delight. I thought the movie would be a bore too so it was a wonderful surprise. I agree with Portman's performace, adequate at best, and she really DID look like a boy with the short hair. A shame since she can be quite stunning. A great moral to the story and we're adding it to our playlist also!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Almost sounds like a modern day "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", instead of a candy empire it's a toy factory. I wasn't sure myself but on your review might give it a try to see how it fares. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

you can't go wrong with Dustin Hoffman!!

dang.. I need to buy The Water Horse!!  sigh.