google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Of Rockies, Inherited skill, and what little I learned yesterday

Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2008

Of Rockies, Inherited skill, and what little I learned yesterday

I don't have much to say about the events of yesterday yet, other than on the surface it seemed positive. Assurances were made, the right words floated into my ears . . and I'm not sure I bought any of it.

We'll see.

Add to that a rigorous 5 hour city inspection that morning that ended about 20 seconds before the meeting began, and you have one heck of a workday.

On the other hand the inspection allowed me no time to prepare for - or worry about - the meeting, so it did have a positive spin.

* * * * *


If we ever get that print/save option for the journals I'm going to pay someone to index this site. AOL Journal's little search box is for sh*t.

Here at Slapinions I wrote about Joe Hill's debut novel Heart Shaped Box. Good luck locating the post.

All that aside, it turns out that Joe Hill is the pseudonym for none other than the son of Stephen and Tabitha King.

Yes, that Stephen King.

I was suitably impressed by the book and the writing and I'm . . wow, it sounds so lame . .but I'm tickled that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I look forward to his next novel.

* * * *

God Bless MLB Extra Innings.

Last night I watched the Rockies and Padres take a 0-0 score into the 14th inning. I'm not going to say it was an incredible game, because no sport should go 3 hours without a goal/run/touchdown being scored. It just isn't right.

I gave up on the game in the 15th and went to bed. That was around 1 am my time.

In the morning I discovered the game went 22 innings. There was a seventh innings stretch, and a 14th inning stretch, and a 21st inning stretch.

I'd have walked out of the park long before that came to pass.

Anywho, the Rox won 2-1 on an unearned run in the end.

But it was a play in the 13th that grabbed my attention. Paul McAnulty of the Padres led off the bottom of the inning with a double to right. Conventional baseball wisdom says that when one run wins the game, you don't push your luck. You're already in scoring position sitting on second, and you sure as heck don't make the 1st or 3rd out trying for an extra base.

So what does he do? He turns the corner and chugs for third. Now I'm no big Rockies fan, but I chose sides in this contest and that side was Colorado. Even so, when I saw him head for third my first thought, word for word was "What the hell is he doing? Dumb a**"

And here comes a rocket throw from the rightfielder to his cutoff man, who rifles it to third with plenty of time to spare.

Out.

The next batter bloops a single that *would* have won the game but now accomplished nothing, and the Padres go on to lose hours later.

Fundamentals people. Live and die by them in baseball. Fundamentals.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love baseball... but I don't think I could have sat for a game that long. Estela

Anonymous said...

Interesting info about the book and the author.  Going to order it in just a minute.  Thanks for the heads up.  Oh...and good luck at work.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

book looks interesting; I'll have to check it out; that was a long game!! being a former San Diegan, the Padres I would have favored

enjoy the day and I hope the changes at work will be good ones and not lead you without employment

betty

Anonymous said...

We all know these guys aren't the brightest bulbs in the box, I wouldn't have made it to the 14th inning.  
Stephen King's son huh?  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the tip on that.
                                             Smiles,  Leigh

 http://journal.aol.com/mleighin21st/iwasthinking.../

Anonymous said...

Someone recommended the Joe Hill book to me recently--was it you?--and something in a very deep part of my brain told me that the guy is SK's son. I don't think it's his son Owen, and if I recall, he has a son named Joe.

Glad to hear that it's a good one--I'll be sure to read it when I start making a dent in what I call the twin peaks of Book Mountain (the dual piles by my side of the bed).

Beth