google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Some answers to your Questions

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some answers to your Questions

I want to thank everyone who participated in the site survey a few days back. (If you haven't, kindly scroll down the main page and jump right in).

It appears I skew towards an older, female audience that is nicely distributed geographically. Not exactly the coveted 'male 18-39' target group, but even so an audience I am quite happy with, thank you very much.

As for everyone who was quick to jump the gun and assume the paid blogging spot was a sure thing, well it isn't. I spoke to my friend yesterday as we walked a 2.8 mile route - well, tried to talk, between deep, labored breaths - and he admitted it didn't look very good.

He was still going to talk to the company but all the current slots are filled and a new one is unlikely to emerge. Still,  I prodded him to give it a shot and argue some of my strong points - a proven 3.5 year track record, nearly 800 posts proving I have no shortage of filler at my disposal, and the abiltiy to self-edit, keeping private stuff private and my content on-target and appropriate for my average reader.

(such as the post about the bushes. The orginal title was 'way too many pics of a big bush', but you didn't see me run with that title on this  family-friendly blog, now did you?)

So we'll wait and see.

Meanwhile I think I'm going to take that offer to scribble a weekly 'male Erma Bombeck' article for a community newspaper. It doesn't pay much, but it's more than I make writing now, that's for sure. I'd originally turned it down as being charity, but they've hounded me long enough now that I think they have a genunine interest in the column.

Eh, who knows.

To answer some questions posed in the comments and emails related to the survey:

* Do I think my 'style' would change? Nah, not really. By and large I'm rather a cocky wiseenheimer in print. That tends to show through in everything I write. The exception, of course, would be in documents where that would be innapropriate - such as political analysis and eulogies.

* Would I 'sell out'? Heck yeah. Give me a check and I'll write about the glory of the Chicago Cubs and how I think that Kurt Cobain guy was over-rated. It would hurt, but I'd buy something to ease the pain. :)

Mind you, evenually I'd abandon it for 'pure' art, casting it as my 'dark commercial period', like Johnny Depp's years on Jump Street or the skin flick Stallone did before Rocky .

* Do I write for myself or for an audience? Honestly, an audience

Think about it: on Slapinions you don't read about my work, my innermost fears, the names of my kids, my real last name, embarrassing details about extended family, or my sex life (you're welcome). By default, I automatically edit this blog for the eyes of (largely) anonymous strangers.

 I don't think I'll ever stop writing, in some way, shape, and form, even if no one ever read a word I wrote. That's been the case before, was the case for much of my life in fact.

But even in that scenario I'd fall victim to what Stephen King calls 'writing for the ages' - the little voice in your head that says every word you commit to the page will one day be revered, whether read now or not.

Say mankind was about to die out. Before it happened a magic genie appears and says to me that only one document would survive The End, only one scrap of writing to tell the universe 'we were here'.

The choice, says the genie, is between the Declaration of Independence or half the grocery list I wrote yesterday on the back of a matchbook. Now choose.

In which case, rest assured dear reader, the aliens from Gamma 5 are going to be asking what 'Tuna Helper' tastes like.

* Would I still write here on Slapinons if I was paid to blog elsewhere? Sure, I think so. Scalzi kept Whatever running while AOL paid him to do, well, this. I certainly think I can handle the vice-versa.

Again, as always, thanks for reading :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read about 20 blogs currently and comment in most of them.  I am one of those 'older female audience' people that you skew towards.  However, I am an educated lady that has lived an interesting life (in my defense).  I just want to say that of all the blogs I read, I enjoy yours the most.  You are witty and extremely entertaining...not to boost your ego too much.  Have a great rest of the week.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I too agree with Joyce, I love reading your post...so please don't stop..

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I get it.  The article for the community newspaper sounds like it'd be interesting and fun.  Who knows, you could get discovered that way. (It could happen)
                                              Smiles,  Leigh

 

Anonymous said...

Ha! Funny! I got a kick out of the original title of the bush entry. <grin>

Beth

Anonymous said...

Although not certain if I enjoy being "largely" anonymous, I am stranger than most. You got to admit that having women actually paying attention to what you think is something many men would like to accomplish in their lifetime.

Having come newly to reading your blog, I hope you don't give it up soon. On the other hand, getting paid for writing is the best rush. (I remember literally crowing for several hours when I sold my first short story. It was way beyond WOO!HOO!) So I personally would understand that the paid job takes precedence. Does the paper take out-of-state subscriptions?

Maybe instead of "Male Erma Bombeck" you should describe yourself as "Dave Berry-esque".

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

The guy specifically said he wanted a 'male Erma Bombeck'. That's why I phrased it as such.

Dan