google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Sunshine

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sunshine

Judging by Amazon, I don't think you'll find many bad reviews of Sunshine, a sci-fi film released in 2007. That is, except for this one.

50 years from now the sun is dying and a ship is dispatched to re ignite the star with a nuclear blast. Something causes that ship to fail while out of communication range with Earth, and a second, 'last best hope' crew is sent. Enter our movie, as it follows the astronauts of the Icarus II on their mission.

This is not Armageddon; for all I know all the science is bunk but they make a valiant and largely successful attempt to make it as 'realstic' as possible, so much so that I think this the movie is largely accessible only to a true sci-fi fan.

My problem with the movie is that it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It's part 2001, part Alien, part Deep Impact, and in the third act it veers rather drastically away from even that splintered identity to become of all things, a horror movie.

Forget the thumb-up-their-bum Amazon reviewers who go on and on about how this blends visual style with blah and blah and offers a spiritutal ya da yada.

Personally, I regret putting down my guitar to pop in the DVD.

2.5 stars out of 5 on my scale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated this movie.  What a waste of time.  Can't believe you got to the third act.  I had it back in the Netflex envelope before that.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

That movie was so bad. I thought the graphics were going to be great on it so I got it on blu-ray, and then I took it back! I couldn't figure out what sort of movie it was either, so disappointing.

Julie