google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Water, Water, and More Water

Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2008

Water, Water, and More Water

I just returned from my twice-hourly trip to my basement to monitor and remove the rainwater that is making parts of it a wading pool.

You might remember this happened before, on the day we saw The Lion King, but this time is much worse, with an inch of standing water by the circuit box.

The culprit is clearly the two remaining 1892 Cream City brick foundation walls. We had the north/south walls replaced when we moved in, but the east/west were viewed as sound.

'Sound' maybe, but not waterproof in a deluge. The rain keeps coming today (Greenfield was completely flooded on the eastbound side between 121st and 108th and I was forced to abandon myattempt to reach the freeway and take Sunnyslope Rd. south)

Whatever. The walls still shouldn't leak. But clear as day two spots on the west wall are bringing water in, and one in the northeast corner. The latter is the bad one, pooling water in the kitty litter corner.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I'll try to tuck up the two walls, and I reckon I'll toss in a sump pump this summer.

Ugh.

* * *

On the upside Lisa and I are going out of town this weekend. We usually take a weekend away after she gives birth, but with the baby 8 months old we only now have time to get out of town.

In fact, it's the first trip we've taken since Disney in '06.

So I probably won't update much until Monday ;) We'll see.

If I don't, enjoy your weekend!

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shame about all the wet getting into the basemant Dan.  I think I have seen over here some kind of paint that can be used that prevents  damp getting  a wall. I should expect it seals the wall somehow or other ?.  Gla dyou enjoyed you two games.  Have a lovely weekend. Looking forward to hearing all about it soon.  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

I too feel bad for the water in the basement since you spent so much money putting the two new walls in....You would think that they would of suggested a sump pump too.....such a sad thing to happen..


Enjoy your weekend.....

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Have a great time.  It's always a good idea for Mom and Dad to get away 3 or 4 times a year for a long weekend.  Helps keep you sanity (which is also good for the kids).
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hope your basement woes are over for now!

Have a great weekend getting away from it all.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Okay, you have my curiosity piqued, I would love to see pictures of your house, with a 1892 foundation, I bet it is wonderful :o)

Anonymous said...

The joys of home ownership, new shingles on the roof, water in the basement, and cracks in the foundation....and they said home ownership was fun...LOL

Paul C

Anonymous said...

enjoy your weekend; again congrats for being a guest editor!

betty