google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The 2008 Dance Recital

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The 2008 Dance Recital

This weekend is a big one in the Slapinions household because it's home to the annual dance recitals. Best of all, after fifteen years Lisa has returned to dancing and is performing throughout the weekend.

Previous dance recitals were amply covered here. Check them out if you have time - 2005, 2007, (two that year actually) even the awful, please Lord-let-me-forget-about-it May of 2006 wasn't strong enough to completely deny a post.

With Lis in the show I was responsible for hauling YaYa, her friend Sophia, Chris' daughters Faith (who was in a dance at the Bradley Center herself recently) and Meadow to the gig. The venue had changed from Whitefish Bay High to another suburban high school where, thankfully, parking is no longer a problem.

We joined Lisa's father, Mom, and stepdad at the show. Sadly no one from my side was able to attend due to scheduling conflicts.

Lu was a lion in 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' and I had difficulty discerning which dancer was her  because of the makeup and costume. [Believe me Lu, I tried honey.] But, I can honestly say all the kids were good, as 4 year olds go :)

Lisa did the opening dance, a ballet number, and a tap dance. She prefers tap and I watched the dance with a smile on my face because you could see  from the balcony how happy she was to be tapping away.

Outside of the family numbers, I have to give credit to some unexpected choreography during the Oz Medley, a very impressive Phantom of the Opera number, and a great seated dance from Will Rogers Follies.

A few numbers into the show Lisa's longtime childhood dance instructor, Donna Jeanne, showed up to watch her former pupil.

Lisa wrote it off as nothing because she bought the tickets for Donna and her boyfriend. Pbbbt, I said. You could buy me tickets  for someone's music recital and I'd be danged if I'd show up . . .  unless I cared for the person and was genuinely interested.

Here's Lis and Lu

and her and YaYa

Lu and Meadow:

and Jaspare, Lisa's step-Dad

* * * *

Afterwards YaYa begged to have her friend stay overnight. After refusing a half dozen times I said it'd be up to Sophia's Mom. I thought I was in the clear, as she's always said no. Nope, she was quick to agree, and I was up poop creek :)

That set off Lu, who started crying and saying "it's not my day anymo', now it's her's. So I said we'd rent a movie and she'd have sole dibs on picking it out.

At Blockbuster I had a Moment of Maturity: Lu wanted to rent Barbie's Princess and the Pauper, which they've seen a zillion times and own to boot, although God knows where the DVD is at home. Instead I tried pushing her to pick up the new Barbie Fairy movie. It was ridiculous, I thought, that she'd even ask to rent that old movie.

She demurred, and when I looked down at her I realized she was trying to politely but firmly stick to her gut yet was a minute away from conceding. It doesn't matter, I thought, What difference does it make what movie she wants to watch? Pick your battles, why hurt her feelings over something as lame as this?

"Here Lu, let's rent Pauper," I said, and she was one happy camper.

Then I asked what she wanted to eat, and she said "Pizza Pizza' which is the kid's term for Little Caesear's. I wasn't having that but and wanted to treat them to dinner, so I compromised by taking them to the slightly upscale Italian Restaurant across the street from our house.

"This is the fanciest restaurant I ever ate in," said Sophia. And with a trio of kiddie cocktails (extra cherries) and a pizza, the kids were great company.

When it was rounded out by watching Princess and the Pauper  which is a pretty fine film, I will admit - and later a Diamondbacks/Detroitgame, itwas a fine day all around.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely girls you sure have You are a lucky lucky man...I am so glad that all went well and that everyone enjoyed themselves...Sounds a great day all round.  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Glad your recital weekend was a success.  :o)

Anonymous said...

  They all look so cute and good for you letting her get the movie she wanted.  You made it a perfect day for her.

            Julie

Anonymous said...

aww....those pictures are adorable!!!  I love the yellow feathers.....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

You have a great family.  And your kids have a really nice daddy.  Glad the day went so well for all.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures, step dad too....so very glad you had a good weekend, even thou it was a busy one...

Love, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hi there.. I know this isn't the place to write this, but I noticed you left a message on my public journal regarding my father's cancer, death and my scum ball of a brother being Executor of my dad's Will... Thanks for your response, but I do have a question.. What link where you talking about when you wrote "I'm sorry but I didn't see a link."  I didn't realize I put links in my journal??  Thanks, Suzy

Anonymous said...

It looks like your leading ladies had a great show!  I LOVE the lion costume, I want one just for Wednesdays ;)  

"pizza, pizza"...we used to chant that to my dad back in the day.  

have your girls found "Enchanted" yet?  Pey loves that one.

Y'all have a great week~
~Bernadette