google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Mother's Day, Quote of the Day, a reading challenge, and problems with a neighbor

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day, Quote of the Day, a reading challenge, and problems with a neighbor

Hope you all had a great Mothers Day.

The kids and I bought Lisa a painting entitled 'Winter Trees' for the holiday. I'll probably post a picture of it once it's on the wall. Midmorning we bummed around a strip mall for a bit and then headed over to Olive Garden for lunch, where the kids were so awful at first that I stood up and said I wanted to go home. They quickly turned it around once the first breadstick arrived and were angels from that point forward, but they spent the rest of the afternoon at my Mom's house. That last bit was probably the best gift I gave Lisa the whole day.

Oh, my apologies. The baby was an angel start to finish. I don't want to lump her in with the rest of the troublemakers.

Anyhow, overheard at lunch:

LuLu: I'm a vampire, and I'm gonna suck your blood!

YaYa, w/ full head bob-and-shake: Nuh-uh. I'm a zombie, and I'm already dead so you can't suck my blood.

LuLu: Dad!

Me: It's true, zombies are the living dead. Even if they have blood I doubt you could drink it.  It's not good for you.

YaYa: Ha! Now I'm going to eat you!

 I casually dipped a breadstick. Then:  Well, zombies do eat flesh. But a vampire is pretty close to immortal, so I'm not sure how that would work. Seems like a no-win situation.

LuLu (singsong): Ha Ha! You can't eat me!

* * * *

On Friday the city showed up at my door in response to a neighbor's (and I use the term neighbor loosely) complaint that we are running a day care. It was their second complaint in a year. 

A f'ing day care. Whatever. There are days we can barely handle our four, no one here is looking to add someone else's kids to the mix.

The impetus for the call seems to be what the complaint refers to as 'children of multiple ethnicities' being dropped off at 'all hours of the day and night'. Last things first: my kids are in the house and on the way to bed at 7 pm, and the only time someone here is up past midnight is when the baby's crying.

Back to the first part. Chris' kids are half-black, and apparently that's reason enough for someone to call, and more surprisingly, for the city to respond.

I wrote a long and scathing post about this on my 'test journal' but I've buried it becase, frankly, I need to bury my anger, period. The city inspector blew off the complaint and said he'd pop a note in the records to ignore any future calls on the subject, but I am pissed.

Serenity now. Serenity now.

* * * *

One more thing. At the mall I bought YaYa a book for $1 ("He said it was either that or nothing, so I said fine, I'll take it") and she read it aloud to her siblings all the way to my Mom's. This was a book based on a German folk tale, and it featured some pretty hard words and a whole heck of a lot of text per page. 

 I say this to the world: quit bragging about your kid's reading to me. I hear you, I do, saying X is the best reader in his 1st grade class and he's bound for advanced placement. Here's what I say: must be a weak school system. YaYa's already chewing on a Nancy Drew book before bed. She's six and a half.

Bring it. I dog dare ya. One on one readoff, anytime, anyplace, YaYa vs any other 1st grader out there :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.....

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

LOL... dads are just so cute when they brag. :) Estela

Anonymous said...

When  I read of some people's neighbours I really do count my blessings. where I love we all are such friends..not in and out of each others homes but just looking out for one another..if a stranger appears on teh street we kind of watch out where they are heading and if they look "different" if it is me that spots them I will make a pretence to be out on the deck and say "can I help you?"  then they know that they have been spotted !! also I seem to be the key holder for almost all the neighbours !!  Your YaYa is sure a great wee reader at her age not many could read that book like that I am sure and keep her siblings interested.. good on her. Thanks also for the photo's in the studio.  Also for the comment on my journal  very much appreciated.  Love sybil xx

Anonymous said...

I've had the same thing happen to me about daycare!!  the hell?  nosey farking people...  besides.....I babysit for free, so nobody can say anything...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Good on you, Dad, for the great vampire vs. zombie call. (Mummies, btw, don't have any blood and usually are too slow to do anyone as sharp as Lulu and Yaya any harm.)
Good on you, Yaya, for reading so well. (This from the mother of a boy who read at second grade level going into Kindergarten. He was reading handlettered ad signs withouth logos at the age of 2.)
Good on the whole family for confounding the neighbors. (Bunch of no-good nosy so&sos.)
;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

 Brag about a good reader anytime for sometimes I fear library's will close.  I love reading and anyone that reads is OK in my book.  Sorry about the neighbor.  What a drag it is.


                      Julie

Anonymous said...

I love your reading challenge.  Hope you get some takers, it'd be interesting.  
Aren't nosy, interfering "neighbors" just such a pain in the posterior?  I had some dooseys in Ohio.  Had one call me a bit%@, then a few years later, needed some help-so apologized.  No, I told her I was still a bit%@!  ;-)
cute conversation at the restaurant!
                                                      Smiles,  Leigh

 http://journals.aol.com/mleighin21st/iwasthinking...

Anonymous said...

I think you are setting your sights too low with YaYa and the reading challenge; you should pit her against kids in higher grades; I fear for our country in a few years with what the schools are sending out as "educated" these days

I've been away from journals for about a week or so due to our move; I won't have a chance to catch up on old entries; hope all is doing as well as they can in your household

betty

Anonymous said...

Loved the zombie vs. vampire conversation!

I am appalled at the phone call made by your "neighbor," and I use that word only in the strictest sense. At least the inspector recognized it for the crap that it was. Perhaps completely burying your anger isn't the best thing to do...I'm pissed just reading about it, so maybe a little venting is warranted. Unless your "neighbor" reads your journal....

YaYa sounds like an exceptional reader, and I applaud her. And you, for instilling the reading bug in her! I don't know of any kids I know who can compare to that...but back in the day, I was reading an Isaac Asimov book in the second grade. <grin> I've always felt that a love of reading was the best thing (out of many great things) my parents ever gave me. I'm glad your daughter has that same love. (And I LOVED Nancy Drew!)

Beth

Anonymous said...

good job on the reading!!
as for the person that lives in the neighborhood pbbbbtttttttttt

Anonymous said...

Your children are just too-o cute!  Makes me yearn
for little ones around again.  I could just see the
whole scene at Olive Garden.  I, for one, loved to
tune in on their little conversations.  
Your little girl is sure getting a headstart on a good
education.  Reading is the key, I think.  Blessings,  Pat