google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Forget my basement - I was one of the lucky ones

Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2008

Forget my basement - I was one of the lucky ones

Even as I wrote that post about the water in the basement I knew there were people a lot worse off. Heck, the front page of the Journal-Sentinel had a  picture of people canoeing down an intersection not more than a couple miles past my place of employment.

When I got to work my story was put to shame. One guy had three feet of water in his basement; many more had some degree of flooding and the mother of one of our employees had to pull out the wall-to-wall carpeting in her rec room. My friend Tre chimed in with news that a co-worker of his had 41 inches in his basement, while his own garage took in an inch. My daughter's had school cancelled when their cafeteria flooded badly enough to make the news. A customer told me her newly finished basement near Sherman Park had been destroyed, costing her all the electronics in her rec room, damaging her electricity and sending her to room in a hotel overnight.

I guess I can thank my lucky stars my situation wasn't much, much worse.

Wisconsin was hit hard, and the news out of Wisconsin Dells was staggering. Lake Delton is a popular attraction around that resort community.

Or rather it was. It jumped the banks and flooded a local river, draining the lake down to the bottom in a matter of minutes.

We're not talking a pond here, or a lagoon. This is a decent size, decent depth lake. It was large enough to support beach resorts and the locally famous amphibious Duck rides. Now it's gone, completely gone, and people are mourning their sole source ofrecreation and income.

Along the way, the Lake took out four large 'dream' vacation homes along the banks.

What a mess. And more rain to come this week . . . Hope everyone is well and stays dry.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness Dan, You were lucky when you look at others.  We have had some odd weather here this last year or so as well. Quite near us about 25 miles away in Gloucestershire people had to  vacate their homes last Oct. annd because there was so much damage down to so many homes and they have taken so long to dry out and then repair that they are still not yet able to return home and many are staying in caravans in their driveways.  Yes we have a lot to be thankful for.
Love Sybil xx
Not looki ng forward to toady when I am going up to my niecess home to try to clear up a bit and bring home mounds and mounds of craft work materials etc that she so loved....don't think I have said her husband is now in hospital we brought him down with us on Friday and he had to go in on saturday...hopefully he will be able to go tothe funeral which is next Monday.  Love  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!  Really sad to see the pics, I'm so sorry for everyone there!!  I'm glad that yours wasn't as bad as some of the others, but still sad all the way around.

Joann

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are just staggering.  I can't imagine a whole lake and the surroundings just gone like that.  You were one of the lucky ones.  Hope things will dry out soon.
                                                           Smiles,  Leigh

 

Anonymous said...

WOW. I saw that on the news, but I didn't realize it completely drained the lake.

Stay safe.

Beth

Anonymous said...

 How terrible.  We have been watching it on the computer news.  

        Julie

Anonymous said...

WOW.  That is INSANE!
The fury of nature...crazy.

~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

It was a mess.  I'm glad all you got was a wet basement.  I wonder...is all this crazy weather-related stuff lately because of global warming?  Hmmmm.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Wow, shows how important dikes and levys are :o)  
What a shame the lake is drained.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that for you it hasn't been worse.  I hope you stay dry in the coming days.   Estela

Anonymous said...

Glad you are ok Dan.
Charlie
http://journals.aol.com/perturbedcow/the-sports-game-/