google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On nothing in particular

Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2008

On nothing in particular

What an odd city.

This afternoon tornado sirens were going off, fierce winds attacked everything in sight, the sky blanketed the land with darkness, and rain fell in sheets.

A few hours later it was in the 80's (F) and bright and sunny, without so much as a gust of wind.

Huh.

Anyhow I took Lu and Lump outside to play in the front yard for a few minutes. All was well and then, like flipping a switch, Lu started wigging out when her flip-flop fell off her foot..

"Pick up my shoe! Pick it up now! Arrrrgggghhhh! Pick it up now Daddy! I hate you! Pick up my shoe!"

Booyah, off to bed with some words between the front door and her bedroom. The worst part? It took place in full view of the folks we believe called us in as a daycare. In my valiant attempt to continue civil relations I jokingly asked him if these fits would end by the time the girls were twelve. 'Give me some hope,' I said. He laughed and said they would, then he went inside to poke a pin in my voodoo doll.

That last parts just supposition tho'.

Work continues to be a subject verbotten here, but I will say that this morning I attended the inaugural meeting of a steering committee for our business district. With a 1.5 million dollar (starting) budget we have a lot of decisions to make, and the state DOT (Department of Transportation) says that the physical changes they'll implement on our behalf will stand for a quarter century or more. It's a legitimate way for me to leave a mark on the city, even if I wind up selling apples on the street corner when the new owner says 'see ya!'.

I always go into those meetings feeling insecure. I sit down with politicians and business owners and I think "What the hell am I doing here? I'm just the dorky kid from high school, the kid who'd nearly have a panic attack when you went around the room introducing yourself on the first day of class. Now it's 16 years later and I'm sitting here with the cool kids - oh crap!"

And then it starts and at some point I say something, or object to something, and a roomful of people nod and run with my idea. And no matter how many times that happens, or how many times folks ask me to join these committees, I always let out an inner 'yee haw', as if I've managed to pull the wool over their eyes one more time.

Man, I've got some 'core' issues.

* * * *

Today of course is the 64th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy. To all the living survivors of that event, thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there done that

Peace

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad someone "normal" is willing to sit in the council meetings. It's every bit as important as shooting people for peace. Thank you!

:^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

I think you underestimate your worth Sir Dan.  As for the kids, it only gets worse when they become teens.  Sorry.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

v

Anonymous said...

I too think you underestimate yourself...Good job..

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Name: Howard Roark
Site Rating: 7
Visitor Comments:
Oberfuher:  I find the text to be vapid, inaccroachable but still, fairly well written.  I loved the baby pics and was pleased to see a pic of Buddy Holly, even though  you are a Bushie.  Too Bad, but you are a MIdwestern family man.  



I don't really know what the word "Inaccroachable" means or even if it is real.  Hemingway had it said to him by Gertrude Stein and HE didn't take to it at all.  Read "Movable Feast," even the wife will like this one.



I can't think of a NKOTB song but I do think I recall seeing their cardboard effigies placed at a 45degree angle to a Burger King counter during my days of taxi driving in New Orleans.  Still, I respect your open advocation for them.  Not only does it prove that one can abstractly believe in anything if they set their heart to it: God, Country, Hollywood Fabricated Stardom and cardboard likeness, it also underscores those Bill of rights amendments concerning the protection of minority interests.  



Of course, DeTocqueville might declaim "Tyranny of the Majority" that he noted in his sojourn of the states so many years ago. Burger King sales reports may or may not offer contemporary confirmation of this, vis a vis say, McDonalds.



Well, rock out with  your cock out and will try to read some of your postings,