google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: A thank you to Bucko

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

A thank you to Bucko

 
I was very pleased to have been chosen by Ken (aka Bucko) as one of his Guest Editor picks this week. This is what he had to say about me:
 
Dan, of Slapinions, is from Milwaukee and has opinions on many things, ranging from fatherhood, sports, movie reviews, and anything else that strikes his fancy :o)  My impression is an all around NICE guy!
 
Ha! I'd love to see someone from work agree with that last bit!
 
Still, a bit of poor timing on my part. Had I known new blood would be visiting I'd have held off on the last rant, which predictably drew some PC ire in the comment section. Not that I minded (keep it civil and you can say what you like) but I have enough PR sense to have given folks a more pleasing sample as a looksee. Oh well, que Sera Sera and all that.
 
(Ok, I'm back. I smelled something burning and went to check. The kids, left alone to watch the Wizard of Oz, decided to set the thermostat for 90 and the furnace kicked in with that wicked '1st fire of the season' stench. [redacted] kids)
 
It's been a lousy couple of days at work. I accomplished a lot on Thursday, including fixing a 'long thought lost' piece of equipment, yet was caught off guard when the owner asked about the one thing that had escaped my attention. Nice blow to the self-esteem there.
 
Then I was home free on Friday afteroon when our fax line went down and I spent a frustrated 90 minutes or so getting that (temporarily) fixed.
 
Today, on my day off, I got a few calls. On one call I was told about the following (trimmed so as to not give away the place or means of my employment, but it's too insane not to mention)
 
One of our employees quit because she claimed someone had tried to assassinate (ok, she said 'kill') her by leaving a cigarette lighter near a gas source at work. Not that anyone had dropped it, or left it behind, or anything innocent. No, it had to be an obvious attempt to recreate the murder scene from the original The Longest Yard. There could be no other explanation.
 
For pete's sake.
 
One bit of good news. On Friday a logo I designed for the state highway project met with the excited approval of some key players on the committee. Once I have a professional version created it stands a good chance of finding its way into many facets of the re-design.
 
Or not. We'll see. But I was more than happy with the initial reaction to it.
 
Oh, and today is the birthday of a manager at work, one who is very upset that she is now halfway to 60 and 33% of the way to 90 . .but I will abide by her wishes and not list her name. Happy Birthday Jane Doe!
 
I just heard Dorothy talking to Aunt Em about Oz, and Lump just crawled by bare-butt. Both are signs I need to get off the computer.
 
Later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also chosen by Ken as an Editor's pick.  At least you had an entry.  I had not done one all week...Oh well, like you said...
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being one of the Guest Editor's picks!!!  Well deserved!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Rants and all, still fun to read :o)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, thanks for the laugh, Dan. I needed that!

I'm still cracking up over the Murder by Zippo caper. <snort>

Beth

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being one of Ken's Editor Picks hon. Seems to me your not that bad off with someone who quits because she thought in her bizarre way someone was trying to kill her. Love to see her put that down on a resume for reason she left her last job. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking you need to throw a couple Prozac in the coffee maker at work.  Or maybe somebody WAS trying to kill her.  Eh.  LOL

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being pick of the week.
As was mentioned in earlier backchat, better off without a paranoid co-worker. Coulda ended up like that Carol Kane movie, *Office Killer*.
;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

Well Done!

Anonymous said...

LMAO...I didn't know my mom worked for you!

haha...joking ;)~

Congrats!~
~Bernadette