google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The 5th (or 6th, I forget) Annual All-Star Game Party

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The 5th (or 6th, I forget) Annual All-Star Game Party

             

You want to know how much I love the game of baseball? Monday night while I was watching Josh Hamilton pound out 28 dingers during the Home Run Derby I turned to my wife and said:

"Do you see how beautiful this is? Do you see the backspin on that ball? You know there are honestly  times when I think I'd rather watch a home run than a naked woman in the street."

Mind you, those would be the times when I wear the t-shirt with 'Dork' written across the chest, but the sentiment holds true.

Tuesday was my annual All-Star game party, and this year even the no-shows dropped off gifts (a nice bottle of brandy from my neighbor). It was a blast.

[Kudos to my wife on preparing a grand spread for the event. Taco dip, pasta salad, sloppy joe's, deviled eggs, two cakes, cheesecake, chips,  and don't forget beverages. God, I must have gained 15 pounds tonight alone]

Along with tying 1967 for the longest game in All-Star history, it was just plain a hell of a game.It helped that for the first time in years I had a rooting interest. With the Yanks apparently out of the running I could invest my energy into rooting for a hometown National League win. Some highlights:

In the bottom of the tenth inning of the tie ballgame, Florida 2nd baseman Dan Uggla - referred to as 'The Cutie' by my wife - committed two errors in a row to put a pair of runners on base. (Uggla would commit a record 3 errors in the game).

Pitcher Aaron Cook intentionally walked the next batter to load the bases and create a force out situation at home. No outs mind you, no outs and the bases loaded with the game on the line and they got out of it unscathed.

Wow!

Then in the bottom of the 11th inning  Dionner Navarro stood on second base with the winning run when a single was rapped into the outfield. By rights the game should have been over but I blurted out "Dionner can't run for s**t. There's a chance."

And booyah, the throw beat him to the plate by a hair. I could've scored on the play, but I've saturated myself enough in this year's games to know Dionner's legs are made out of concrete. 

I was rather proud of myself for that bit of insight, and a few others throughout the night.

The game dragged on into the wee hours and yes, I too was willing to settle for a tie by the time the AL disgustingly won the contest. Eh, such is life. But great defense (minus the Marlins) which I adore, and overwhelming pitching.

A great game, and a great time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! I'm still up from watching too.  I'm so frustrated though that the NL lost it! Man I could have used a spread like that! YUM!

I'm back posting BTW...

Anonymous said...

Not sure I agree with you priorities, I think I would vote for the naked woman crossing the street before the home run :o)