google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Brewers-Cubs pt. 1

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Brewers-Cubs pt. 1

                  

One of the most annoying parts of my job (in the summertime) is that I have to deal with a massive influx of Cubs fans whenever Chicago plays in Milwaukee. By and large they're courteous, and I certainly welcome the flow of cash into our economy. There are exceptions to the 'courteous' rule of course, and naturally I ran into quite a few of those today.

Tommorow I'll have to hear more smack  from the group, assuming they sober up in time, as the Brewers dropped the opening game of the series at Miller Park.

Online there's quite a brew (no pun intended) ha-ha over the loss, with recriminations and accusations flying this way and that. Blah. It's one game, and with 56 games to go we're two games back of first place. By Thursday we could be one game up on the Cubs. Now is not the time for useless finger pointing.

[Although I will say that to me Rickie Weeks, aka Hole in the Glove,  is a waste of a #2 overall pick. Sure he's no Matt Bush, but by now he should have given us a taste of something stronger than potential. When you couple horrible defense with a pathetic average and on base percentage . . .well, I just don't see the attraction.]

If you really want something to worry about, mull over the Suppan disaster on Sunday. The man gave up seven runs - SEVEN - in an inning and not only was kept on the mound but allowed to return the next inning. [Manager] Ned Yost's reasoning: "He was one pitch away [from getting out of the jam]".

Two points here. One I disagreed from the start with the decision to overspend for Jeff Suppan last year, and I hope I jotted it down on Slapinions somewhere at the time. Everyone needs to look smart once in awhile.

Second, I am an unrepentant Yost backer, having noted and dismissed the rabid criticisms thrown at him by fans. There's no excuse however, for the miserable handling of Suppan on Sunday. It was just plain awful, deer-in-the-headlights managing if  I've ever seen it.

If we miss the playoffs  by one game at the end of the season  then Sunday may very well causethe blame to squarely fall on Yost's shoulders.

Frankly, I'm sure I'll be pointing fingers at him too, just as he packs his bags and heads out of town.

Enough of this buzzkill. On with the games - and three consecuitive Brewer wins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looked like a pretty large contingent of Cubs fans there tonight. Glad to hear that most were decent, and sorry for the few who were...not quite so decent. There are always a few, right?

With three more games to go, looks like you might get a look at Shark. [cue the "Jaws" music]

I know...you're shakin' in your boots. <grin>

Beth

Anonymous said...

Several opportunities lost :o)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Dan...got the scoop from Ken already and knew you would be bummed.
Joyce