google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: CC Sabathia, the Cubs, Arod, and Heather McCartney!

Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2008

CC Sabathia, the Cubs, Arod, and Heather McCartney!

                 

I watch a lot of baseball. The MLB Extra Innings package that Lisa got me as an early Father's Day gift ranks as one of my ten favorite things in all the world. I get to watch all the Yankees games I want, and because of my schedule I see a ton of west coast games. Right now, as a matter of fact, Seattle-Oakland is on the tube and Ritchie Sexon just launched a three run blast to left in the first.

One of the oddities of that package is that the incredible varitety offered to me often means that I skip watching my hometown Brewers. Oh, I've seen a few games, including two in person. And I follow them online and in print. But I don't see many games on TV, (the exception being the fine 9th inning win on Saturday and the Suppan disaster on Sunday).

Let me tell ya though, the excitement is building in this town. Sure, we're still behind the Cubs in the standings and yes, we choked last year. There is a difference tho', and it is palpatable.

Last year was exciting but reeked of 'too good to be true', which of course turned out to be the case. This year has a more working-class, 'grinder' feel to it. And underneath it all, right here, right now, is this wonderful feeling of awakening. I liken it to those moments in history when the tide began to turn; a slow, steady, but unforgiving rise to dominance.

Damnit, I think we have a shot.

And of course the weekend brought great news, and memories of the Sutton trade that led us to the Series in '82. The Brewers traded for CC Sabathia, reigning A.L. Cy Young winner and a blue chip pitcher all around.

Sabathia has a lifetime win/loss record of 105-71 with a 3.84 ERA and 1249 strikeouts. I haven't seen much of him in person, but I'm told he has a  94-98 mph fastball, a 11-5 curveball (meaning it moves from 11 o'clock on the face of a clock to 5 o'clock) and a 10-4 slider in the mid eighties.

He seems to be hesitant to use the slider this year, probably because he saw a teamate blow out his arm on the pitch, but he's still a blue chip stock.

Hot daggone dog.

So now it's Sabathia/Sheets/Parra at the top of the rotation, and there are still whispers that the great Greg Maddux will leave San Diego to join his brother in Milwaukee.

Sabathia/Sheets/Maddux/Parra/Suppan . . my that has a nice ring to it.

Combined with the potent offence of All Star and Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, JJ Hardy, Bill Hall, Mike Cameron, Jason Kendall (ok, not a great power threat), etc and you have the makings for a hell of a stretch run.

Like I said, they really have a shot. It could blow up in our faces, or we could take home rings in October. I'll tell you one thing tho'. All respect to my friends who are Cubs fans (Emo, Psychfun), and it's nothing personal, but there is dang near nothing NOTHING I detest more than the Cubs, not even the Bears.

That is not hyperbole, I am completely serious.

So it would please me for years and years and years if the Brewers were to deny Chicago entry to the post-season and extend their misery to a solid one hundred years (since their last Series win in 1908).

Whatever happens I'm glad the Brewers sucked it up and traded for CC. We've waited for the future for far too long.

The future is NOW.

* * *

On the east coast my favorite player, Alex Rodriguez, saw his name dragged through the tabloids when they alleged he was having an affair with Madonna. Then his wife allegedly ran off to Paris with Lenny Kravitz, and things got goofy times infinity.

Now she's filed for divorce in Florida, and even though the laws of that state don't necessitate listing adultery as a prereq for divorce, she was quick to throw out the notion.

Because adultery could be used as grounds for alimony. But it's not about the money, of course.

I guess she's forgotten about that 2002 prenup. Then again, this is the same woman who claimed she never realized someone could make a living playing sports until she married her husband.

Her husband who, btw, makes 25 million a year on the field and probably another 25/year for endorsements.

But she never ever had a clue. It was never about the money.

Look, I'm not condoning adultery. But the guys good looking, super rich, the best damn athlete in the game, he's adored by millions, he's out of town six months a year, and groupies abound. This should be a surprise? It doesn't make it right, but please. You knew what you were getting into, and if she's going to be greedy and try to do a Heather McCartney, at least be upfront and say you were in it for the green.

Anything else is bull.

BTW - Congrats to ARod for tying Mickey Mantle's career home run mark of 536. I'm looking forward to the day when he takes sole possesion of first place on the home run list.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth <-- Cubs fan

<ducking and running>

Looks like both Chi-town teams are on top at the moment....

<ducking and dodging sniper fire>

I've always said that a sure sign of the Apocalypse is a Windy City World Series. But the second half of the season rarely bodes well for the Cubbies, so we shall see what happens.

Don't hate me because I'm Cub-iful.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Can't comment on your sports mania !! but glad that you enjoy it all...Love sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, growing up in Geneva Illinois, I am a die-hard Cubs and Bears fan, grrrr.

Hope the second half of the season is good for both of our teams, but I want the Cubs to make it to the series.

As for A-rod, a vow is a vow, and there is no excuse for adultry, period.

Anonymous said...

If CC still pitches the way he did as a rookie, you guys got a real winner.  I was an Indians watcher when he first started.  Best of Luck to the Brewers.  
                                                                                            Leigh

 

Anonymous said...

huh?!  Preseason?! Superbowl?!  huh?!
...oh..baseball ;)~  you lost me.

I don't get the whole ARod scandal either....i'm purty sure she knew what she was getting into, if she didn't well then she should have been living in blissful, multimillion dollar ignorance.

~Bernadette