google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Happy Birthday Jonah!

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Jonah!

Before the day ends let me send a Happy 14th Birthday to my nephew/Godson Jonah, featured here on his graduation earlier this summer.

Lump's 1st birthday is right around the corner, and so I am reminded that I am often embarrassed when I see video of Jonah's 1st. birthday party. I was quite enamored by the boy and addressed him in a constant, distrubingly high baby-voice, often referring to him by a series of goofy nicknames.

 In hindsight, given that (in theory) his great-grandchildren will see it someday, it's not the ideal way to be recorded for posterity.

But one good thing (among dozens) about having a baby around back then: it was good schoolin' for having one of my own. Oh, don't get me wrong. Being a Dad is much more hellish than being an Uncle ever was, even when I lived with the lad. But it was a nice appetizer to the meal, and a good way to practice.

And it did pay dividends. A couple of years later I headed up north with Lisa to visit some of her relatives prior to our wedding. I wound up holding a nine or ten month old boy, and to the amazement of the crowded room I easily navigated a coat on and off the kid. I mean that in the true, unadulterated sense of the word 'amazement'. You'd have thought I negotiated peace in Dafur or cleaned up Jesse Jackson's mouth.

Major props for me for with their family, so kudos to Jonah for that.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Happy Birthday and many many more.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your nephew.. and LOL to your "amazement" comments.  too funny!  Estela (I don't think anyone could clean up the Rev.'s mouth)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! 2 more years & he can drive. Wow! Wait until you are holding his kid...then you will feel old.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Jonah,

Jeanne