google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Lightning Bug Lane

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Lightning Bug Lane

Sure, everyone's concerned about a new name for Lump. But in the meantime we've come up with a new title to refer to our street: Lightning Bug Lane.

I have never seen so many fireflies in such a small area. If you go out at twilight you'd swear a small patch of the night sky has fallen to the earth. There's soft twinkling lights everywhere you look.

This past week I took the kids out - one kid at a time, one kid a day - to capture some fireflies. First up was YaYa, intrepid bug hunter and collector for years now. She and I caught perhaps a dozen and a half without even trying, and one of our neighbors even joined in, proclaiming with delight that it was the first time in her 50-odd years she'd ever captured one!

Next up was Lu, accompanied by her cousin. Not quite as experienced or aggressive a bug gal, Lu still caputred a good dozen or so for herself.

On the third day came Smiley, who joined the hunt after a day of fun with Grandma.

Smiley has a well known aversion to insects, stemming from the time a colony of ants swarmed him at a picnic a year or two ago (it's mentioned here on the site somewhere). Therefore I wasn't expecting a very long hunt, but boy was I mistaken! He seemed to have discovered his calling and caught them with an ease that was remarkable.

(his hunt was earlier in the evening then the girls and so the pictures turned out better)

That's a lighting bug clenched between his fingers in both (above and below) shots.

Unlike the girls, who were fond of releasing the bugs, Smiley fought it tooth and nail. But in the end he gave in and they were set free.

A very fun way to spend a few minutes each night, and it was great that each kid got their alone time with me.

In closing, here's a shot of my niece wearing the 'suit of armor' I bought Smiley.

and one of our now empty bird's nest in the shed. I guess/hope the birds grew up and flew off on their own.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cousin just told me tonight here son has a cage of a bunch of different bugs including a Praying Mantis! Do you believe that! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Gosh Dan what a great Dad you are...I have to say I would have liked to join you all...I don't think...at least I have never seen...fireflies over here in England..What fun..I presume they are harmless ?   Have a lovely weekend. We are still awaiting the summer..wet at the moment//but might clear up soon...ever hopeful LOL  Love  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

One of my fondest memories is catching fireflys with the kids when they were young and we were stationed in Virginia. :)  I think we even have some of it on video.  Sounds like you and your troop had fun too.   Estela

Anonymous said...

Love catching fireflys when I was a kid and with my kids....

Did some with my grand kids

Great pictures and great memories, also a great Dad..

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Here at Nutwood, we have lots of fireflies.  It is fun to watch them.  Glad you had a fun evening bugging with the kidlets :o)

Anonymous said...

Brings back wonderful memories of days long ago...
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I love looking out on our back yard on summer nights and seeing all the fireflies. It's a beautiful sight!

Beth

Anonymous said...

We always wanted to collect enough lightning bugs to be able to read by (saves flashlight batteries). Glad y'all had a good time.
;^) Jan the Gryphon