google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: 'Salem's Lot

Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2008

'Salem's Lot

      

World Traveler, who has sadly moved on from our company, once looked at a Stephen King book I was reading and proclaimed it my 'guilty pleasure'.

I don't take offense to that statement but I do think it's a bunch of malarkey.

I don't know what books will be remembered two or three hundred years down the road. Perhaps To Kill a Mockingbird will fall out of favor as race ceases to be an issue or the world will wise up and dismiss Catcher in the Rye. Hey, for all I know a Danielle Steel novel will reign as the next Oliver Twist in 2187.

But I do think some of Stephen King's work has a chance of being remembered. He's created some great novels (and some clunkers) and I'm not in the least embarrassed by calling myself a fan of his work.

Even if he is a [redacted] Red Sox fan.

'Salem's Lot was his second published novel, put out just after the success of Carrie.  The idea behind the plot is simple. Ben Mears returns to his hometown after many years only to find himself on the front lines of a vampire invasion.

It's a great novel with a strong plot and a large cast of characters. At times King's prose genuinely sings in Lot. His descriptions of the town itself as it wakes, darting from one character to another and showing us the very human heart of its people, jumped out at me and stayed with me long after the book was done.

3.75 starts out of 4 for me personally, 90 out of 100. Your take on horror may influence your vote.

          

The 1979 miniseries based on the book stars David Seoul as prodigal son Ben Mears. It's considered a horror classic and is lauded left and right on every site I've been to, but you know what? I thought it was boring. Slow and boring. The only good part was watching a young Bonnie Bedelia on screen.  2.0 out of 4, 50 out of 100.

                                

On the other hand the recent Rob Lowe version is skewered just as often by fans. I agree liberties were taken with the characters. I just don't see how that alone makes it a 'bad' movie. A bad adaptation of a book perhaps, but not a bad movie.

I happen to think most of the changes moved the story along at a cinematic pace. Certainly the rewriting of Ben Mears strengthened his motives for returning to the town and bolstered the emotional impact of his emergence as a hero.

It's not King's book, but it's a fine movie. 3.0 stars out of 4, 70 out of 100.

Spoiler:

I'd have given it a mathematically proper 75 out of 100, save for the fact that I thought the portrayal of the priest was disgusting. To not only willingly join the forces of evil but question the existence of God when face to face with an agent of the devil was sacrilegious and ludicrous.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...


We are huge King fans and enjoy his books tremendously.  Some of the movies are good renditions as well :o)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy most of King's work.

Hey, I'm a Red Sox fan!...........Born and grew up in Boston!  I would actually move back in a heartbeat...........snow and all.

The palm trees and sunshine is nice but the humidity is horrible here in South Florida!

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

I never read the book, but I really liked the David Soul version.  Estela

Anonymous said...

Hey, first time I read *Salem's Lot* I was reading it late at night while my husband was working second shift. The book held my attention so that I had to wait for hubby to get home and turn on another light so I could go pee.

I haven't liked the film versions of *SL* at all. The Soul version's vampires were too recognizeable as such with pale skin and blackened eyes. Ain't no way I'm going to open a window to my dead buddy if he LOOKS dead. Oh well, my favorite vampire was Louie Jourdan's Dracula in a mini-series aired on our public TV station about 25 years ago. The sheer magnetic attraction of the man/monster!!! That's what vampirism is about!

;^[  Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice presentation showing the options available!  Good job!