google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Mama's Boy - a Review

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mama's Boy - a Review

                           

There are some funny moments in Mama's Boy. Not a ton, mind you, and far between at times, but they are there.

(Look for Jeff Daniels' line: "Sometimes we confuse our fears with our fantasies Jeffrey". Classic!)

The plot is standard issue. A 29 year man still lives at home with his mom, but a new boyfriend has entered the mix and the son will stop at nothing to preserve his cushy, coddled life.

A positive: a stellar supporting cast. Diane Keaton (adorable as always - she looks just like my big high school crush, albeit not 15 or goth), Jeff Daniels (go Midwest!) and Eli Wallach.

A negative: for too much of the movie the cast seems to exhaust themselves keeping Jon Heder afloat. I liked Napoleon Dynamite; heck, I'd even vote for Pedro, but in this movie he played it too National Lampoon for my taste. It didn't work.

I'm still not sure what motivated Anna Faris' character to pine for Jeffrey, but hey, Lisa is the one that pursued me years back. I wasn't exactly a Happy Meal with fries at the time, so who's to say?

But I also take umbrage with the complete and utter co-dependency at the start of the film. Living at home at 29, tied to your Mom's apron strings, a virgin . . .ok, I cry for you, but I can see it. Living at home at 29 with all of the above and having your Mom wait for you at the bus stop and pack your lunch every day? Go on weekly 'dates' with her? Talk to her while dressed only in tight underwear with your (sock stuffed) goods highlighted?

No, no sirree.

Still there were those few good laughs, and Jeff Daniels rocked.

2.75 out of 4, 65 out of 100.

No comments: