google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The MLB Trading Deadline

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The MLB Trading Deadline

Dear God what an awful series. I cannot put into words my distaste for the four game sweep the Brewers just suffered at the hands at the Cubs. Five games back now. Ugh.

But these are the Cubs. It's never to late to re-enact 1969, right? ;)

Anyhow, check out this (somewhat) tongue-in-cheek comment I left on Bucko's site:

If God himself granted me the ability to give birth, and then gave me a 12 pound baby, I would rather have Tom Cruise in sole charge of my natural childbirth than have the &*$@ Cubs come within a whiff of the Series.

I'm just sayin'.

Dan
 
* * * *
The MLB trading deadline passed at 4 p.m Eastern time today and some big names changed hands.
 
Ivan Rodriguez joined the Yankees after Detroit traded him for a relief pitcher no one in NY wanted  (Kyle Farnsworth). I-Rod is past his peak but still shores up the Yankee lineup in the absence of Posada, who recently underwent season-ending surgery. Molina was doing fine behind the plate but playing above his ability and was due to come crashing down to earth. IRod beefs up their catcher's spot.
 
As for Detroit, their staff gave up 12 runs yesterday in an excruciatingly long game I watched. I wonder how much of that was due to having to adjust to a new face behind the plate.
 
Then Ken Griffey Jr. left the Reds for the Chicago White Sox. I love Griff, even if he is past his sell-by date and playing like a Brewers era Hank Aaron, and I have a soft spot for the White Sox so I'm pleased with the trade. (what? he likes a Chicago team? Sure - they ain't the Cubs.) I can't imagine how it's a valuable trade to Chicago, but okeedookee.
 
Lastly Manny Ramirez left Fenway for the Dodgers in a three way trade with Pittsburgh that scratched many rumored deals with Tampa, the Marlins, and Philly. The Dodgers now have the horses to take the NL West (they are only 1 game back of AZ). For the life of me I can't see the (current) upside for Boston, despite the acquisition of Jason Bay.
 
His locker room antics aside it's a tough job to replace Manny's production, especially when battling for the East.
 
Not that I'm worried. If it hurts the Red Sox, goody - they are my (second) least-favorite team in all of baseball.
 
* * * *
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And Manny is one of my least favorite players.  When he was young and with the Indians, he was amazing.  Now, he's got a bad attitude, and I hope it comes back to bite him good.
                                                                                             :)  Leigh