google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Night Parking in Milwaukee

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Night Parking in Milwaukee

In this great city of mine you have to pay for the privilege of parking on the street in front of your own house, high property taxes be damned. I'm sure it's worse elsewhere - most things seem to be - but I think it's a crock.

Anyway, neither here nor there.

Since we picked up the Freestar our old van has been parked in one of the two spots behind my house, waiting for a friend of ours to get off her behind and get together the money to buy it from us (no pressure, no pressure). This leaves us with the task of temporarily rotating one of our two working vehicles to the street each night.

I have so far refused, on philisophical grounds, to reward the city's policy by spending $12 for a permit. In return the city has slapped me with a single parking ticket for $15. Eh, close enough to count as a draw.

But I didn't feel like another ticket last night so I went online to apply for night parking permission . I entered the address where it was parked and the plate number and was rewarded with a message that said (closely paraphrased)

Night parking permission refused. Permission is restricted to three (3) nights in a thirty day period.

If you have reached the three night limit but still require night parking permission, please call  555-5555 for assistance.

Fair enough. I called the number and gave the same information I'd typed in online.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir. You've reached the three night maximum."

"Yes, I know. That's why I called."

"I see. Well, there's nothing I can do for you."

"Excuse me?"

"You've reached the limit. I can't do anything for you."

"Then why bother with this number?"

"You've received permission three times in thirty days sir. That is the limit."

"Yeah, but I know I haven't called in for permission in July. At worst I'm a few days away from the 30 day mark."

"26 days actually. It's been 26 days since you last received permission."

What a p**k.

"Ok, so I'm four days away. Can you please waive the limit tonight?"

"Hmm. Yeah, no sir. The rules are firm."

I was nearly laughing. "Why have your website direct people to call you at all if you there's no chance of getting permission? Is it just for giggles? I mean I don't care, it's not going to break my wallet, but doesn't that strike you as a little bit strange?"

"The law is the law sir."

I felt like yelling "My taxes pay your salary!", but then again his taxes pay his salary too (which is kind of lousy, no?), so f* it.

I doubt I'll continue my one man stand much longer. The last time I did that, by refusing to pay a ticket issued at the airport (for parking in an employee lot while I was an employee with the proper ID in the window) my $20 ticket went up to triple digits and my plates were suspended. If nothing else my wife will demand I get the permit.

But I'm hoping our friend will take the van off our hands and solve the problem before it comes to that.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Dan, that really sucks.  I have to agree with you.  That is so strange to me.  I have never lived anywhere that I had to pay to park my car in front of my house.  How dumb is that?  Maybe I've lived in rural American too long.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I have never lived anywhere where there was a requirement for nighttime parking permits.  But I agree with you that it's a bit daft that the website has a number to call and yet no solution to the problem.  UGH!  Estela

Anonymous said...

You'd think there would be some constitutional law against this.

Now hmmm you guys don't have driveways? It was great when I grew up from teens to about 3 yrs ago when my folks moved. Our house was surrounded by houses so our driveway went between two houses, then along the back of two & then up a bit. Like 800 ft driveway & where our 3 car garage was my dad made it real wide. You could get at least 4 cars width & then about 2 rows of them then 1 row of three & then 2...then down the road to the street we'd park cars for parties. Of course when there were not cars it made a great space for playing basketball, drawing with chalk, riding bikes ETC!!!!

Where my folks are now I don't think you can park on the street in the subdivision. Seems stupid to me! Geez what is this an airport or fire lane? The cops just don't want to have to go look in them all & shake down the teens making out! HA!

Anonymous said...

The law is an ass !! that is a true saying Dan.  owever it is the sameover here in most of the large towns folks need a permit to park in front of their homes however it is a yearly ticket they have to buy ad costs between £300 and £500 !! convert that at about $2 to the £1  !! but they don't have to pay for overnight extra..mind you there are still rightly so many complaints as other folks still come along and park in "your" place and unless a warden comes along, they get away with it and you have to find another place !   Hope that you have a good Sunday. At least the sun is shining here this morning and the sky is blue !!  long may it continue.  Love  Sybil xx!

Anonymous said...

Hey, any way the city can make a nickel.  
They even find ways to get you in smalll towns.
                                                                                         Leigh

Anonymous said...

I think it is funny that the web site said to call a number.....I remember when my drive was done, I called the city and they give me a week....I told them the start date and the ending date....Also when my son came to visit, they allowed a week....but for that you have to call....

You will have to ask your friend to take the van and move it someplace else....

What a bummer, and the night parking will go up in price....

Love, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I'm most certainly not going to mention your [expletive deleted] parking permits to the city fathers here in Peerless Princess of the Plains. They will want to enlarge on the notion. We already have an ordinance to disallow parking on the front lawn, which also limits the amount of paving/gravel for parking on the front lawn to 1/4 the size of the lawn. Personally, if people want to park their motorhome in the drive and their cars along the curb, I don't mind. It's those low-rise mower transport trailers--with minimal reflectors--that take up a lane and a half and the allowed 18 inches from the curb that are dangerous in the dawnlight.
;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

ps..the counter still works, but unable to have it on the journal page.

Anonymous said...

When I noticed yesterday that the counter was gone I tried to put it back and it would not take, so I then"read the instructions" (above the "about me" edit screen there is a link) and found this

http://peopleconnection.aol.com/blogs/whitelist

OMG, believe it or not, the WHITElist.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling, I tried to renew my plates on-line yesterday, and after three tries of getting to the submit point, it came up with an error.  I wrote a check and put it in snail mail :o)

Anonymous said...

You need to complain to the rules adjustment and bypass committee. They will also refuse you permission for any variance but they allow you to present your case in person and the person listening will pretend to be concerned - and he should, he makes more of your (and his) tax dollars than the person you already spoke to.

http://journals.aol.com/perturbedcow/the-sports-game-/
Charlie