google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Quotes of the Day - LuLu Version

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Quotes of the Day - LuLu Version

I was sitting on the couch tonight when LuLu came up to me.

"Daddy, do you know what time it is?", she asked.

"No," I said.

"It's FARTY time," she said, then jumped on my lap, passed gas, and ran away giggling.

* * * *

Earlier in the week my wife had asked her what she was going to wear to bed.

"I'll just wear naked" she said.

* * * * *

For the record, I have never met a kid so 'at one' with the TV. Not enthralled or even zoned out (I've seen kids that would stare at the screen if their pants were on fire. That's not the case here). Nor does she watch 'that' much TV by American standards. Maybe an hour of Disney Channel, and even then it's often playing as white noise while life goes on.

But does she ever soak it in:

* She'll finish character's sentences FOR AN ENTIRE SCENE

* She'll tell you what episode of Hannah Montana or The Suite Life of Zach and Cody or whatever it is within a minute of watching, no matter at what point she joins the show.

* She'll mimic the actions of the characters to a T

*She will constantly reference the lives, personalities, and mischief of characters throughout the day, sprinkled into conversation so easily that a stranger would think she was talking about her siblings

One day last week I saw her watching an episode of Zach and Cody guest starring Tom Poston. "It's sad that he's dead now," I said. She was confused.

"Who?"

"That guy"

"Nuh-uh. He's sitting right there talking. Duh!"

"Lu, he's just an actor playing a role. This was taped long ago. Zach and Cody aren't real you know"

"They're not?" she said.

Now I think that last line might have been tossed in there to play cutesie-wootsie, because she seems perfectly capable of identifying actorsas they play different parts in different movies and shows. I think the knowledge just slipped from her five-year old brain for a second there.

In no way does this TV quirk trouble me or my wife. I think mental tics like that must run through  our combined DNA. Give me five notes of a song and I'll give you the title and artist (I wish Name that Tune had a modern day version). Play a song for YaYa just once and she'll have the lyrics down. Give Lisa the name of any business past or present and she'll sing you their jingle on the spot. LuLu's quirk just seems to be audio and visual.

One thing did, well, not alarm me per se but throw me off. She doesn't watch Nickelodeon here, but she must at Grandma's. She calls the station 'Zoe 101' (referencing one of its shows) and proudly told me today that "Zoe had a baby. And she wasn't even married! For real Daddy!"

'Zoe' of course, is played by Jamie Lynn Spears.

Sigh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the "farty" time... too cute!  As far as the TV thing.. mine did the same. Now the girls tend to quote characters from books, but my son still finds favorite dialogue from shows and shares them.   Estela

Anonymous said...

You are bringing back many memories of when my children were young.

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she is going to have a good memory.  Hope it carries on into her school work when she starts her education.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha...."I'll just wear naked."  Too funny....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

She sure is going to be an actress I think !!!  what a girl she is, and at only 5...
I laugh though when people try to tell us that TV programmes have no effect on childrens thoughts, actions etc.  Love  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

She'll end up being the one that will accurately synopsise the prior movie action, even though she was reading while the show rolled on, for her [husband] because he "watches" with his eyes closed and suddenly says "Why'd they do that?"

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

LMAO @ LuLu's funnies..

yeah, Pey knows nothing about 'zoey 101' getting knocked up...or the miley cyrus crap.  i hate that it's posted on all the magazines in the stores.  Over-exposure for kids IMO.

...maybe it's a bit of 'photogenic' memory.  I used to do so well on tests and memorizing facts because I could picture the page and 'visualize' the words and literally just pick out the answer.  Like those tests where you look at a picture and then a few minutes later have to recall it...I bet the girls would do great with those.
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

FARTY time made me laugh, when I needed a laugh.  Thanks :o)

Anonymous said...

Kids pay more attention than we realize.  This is a good thing.  
                                                                                             Leigh

 http://journals.aol.com/mleighin21st/iwasthinking.../

p.s. She's quite a character, the farty time made me giggle.