google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Sunday up North

Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2008

Sunday up North

Sunday morning dawned with yet another early wake up call from Lump. I took her outside to the gazebo at 6:30 and let her crawl around while I read some of The Dante Club and enjoyed the sight of cardinals in the backyard.

Eventually, after an hour or so, she tuckered out and I returned her to bed. No one else was up yet so I took advantage of the morning to do some fishing. Unfortunately we were out of bait and the fish weren't interested in the least in the artificial lures. So I started hunting under rocks and logs for a grub or worm to do the trick, and wound up coming across a huge honeybee that had stung something and dropped dead.

I was going to use it on the hook but then realized the kids would like to see it so I held on to it. And yeah, the kids loved it. In fact, we took the bee home with us.

Soon enough all the kids were up and joined me in the water.

 

The husband made a trip for bait and returned with wax worms, which the fish just couldn't refuse. Within only a few minutes I had caught three (and wound end up with six on the day). All the kids started clamoring to join me and by the end of the adventure YaYa caught two fish

Smiley one

,

and LuLu three.

 

And I mean they caught them. All you had to do once the fish were fired up was drop the hook in the water and pull up, they were biting like mad.

[sidenote: one time I was ready to cast when I checked behind me to make sure the kids wereclear. There was Smiley and his 3 year old female counterpart buck naked and swimming. Heathens! I sent them both out to put their swimsuits on.]

Speaking of biting, here's some pics of LuLu's bites, which covered her from head to toe. Like me she's allergic, although thankfully not as bad. Most of the pics fail to show the majority of the bites, but you'll get the idea. The kid looked like she had the pox.

And yes, duh, we used Deep Woods Off, but the damn skeeters up there are nasty and indifferent to it.

Well, soon after it was time to pack up and head out. On the road we stopped back at the Pamida to clean them out of the cheap diapers, and picked up some sandals at Family Dollar. We got lost on the way home, going an hour out of our way, but aside from a stop at McDonald's it was a straight shot once we found the highway.

The only argument on the way back was with YaYa. She'd received a scrapbook from the 11 year old to document the trip and she'd wanted the McDonald's receipt to put inside. I'd thrown it away and she broke down into tears.

Such is life with four kids.

Ah well, a fine and enjoyable weekend. In closing, here's some more pics of the fun we had.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you never really went fishing before! Isn't it grand? It's such a relaxing thing to do. Have you ever seen "A River Runs Through It"? I think it illustrates very well the "lure" of fishing. Ha--get it?!

Sounds like an idyllic weekend! I'd suck up to those friends big-time, because it sounds like a great place to visit every so often!

Beth

Anonymous said...

OOOOh.  Poor baby with all the bites.  It does sound like you had a great weekend and the photo's were great.  I love to fish but don't go much anymore.  Maybe I will rekindle that love.  You made me want to go...LOL.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

The photos of the children are precious!

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend you all had. It will remain in your memories for ever. Espcially the kids I can just imagine their shrieks of joy when they caught the fish...Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Fishing is lots of fun...

When I was single, years and years ago, I would just go fishing off the shore, never got a fish, but would sit and veg....great fun...

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

We used deep woods OFF at the beach too...and got bitten like crazy!  

Love the photos, it sure looks like y'all had a great time :)  I think that last photo of Lump is absolutely adorable.

~Bernadette