google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Unwanted/Uncomfortable Comeback Attempt of Brett Favre

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Unwanted/Uncomfortable Comeback Attempt of Brett Favre

Here we go again.

You might remember that in March I wasted a few minutes of my day composing a tribute to Brett Favre on his retirement*.

I couldn't believe that after year after year of dragging his feet each summer and making a media circus out of the  "will he or won't he play next year' question, he reached a mature and final decision so quickly.

Well, ha-ha on me.

A few days ago rumors began circulating that Favre wanted back in. Scratch that, make that a few weeks ago; they just got more frequent in recent days. Now the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Brett's agent has requested that his retirement be nixed and that he be granted an unconditional release by the Packers so that he can pursue employment elsewhere.

Apparently he's upset that the Packer didn't greet the news of his 'return' with open arms.

Ah, and on cue some folks in Wisconsin are rushing to his defense. How dare we not take him back? Don't we remember all he did for us? Sign him up and bump Aaron Rodgers back to backup. Or, you know what, sign him and make it an open competition for starting job. Yeah! Or, how about we just trade away Rodgers and 'worry about it in '09'. 'C'mon Pack, don't break our hearts" one moron wrote.

There are people who repeat the lines above with ease. Good for them. Some of the mainstream media shovels that pile of manure too. Fine for them.

But many Wisconsinites have had enough of the prima donna.

As one insightful sportscaster mentioned, people outside of Green and Gold country might not know that this has been a constant and silly pattern of Brett's. I mentioned the circus that popped up every summer. It would start with some sad, resigned statement by Favre. It would be fueled, in his absence, by rumor and innuendo (read: his family and his agent) and only, only when local news reporters flew out to camp outside his doorstep in Mississippi would he be happy.

"Yes, gosh, I will come back. Whyd'ya'll ever wonder?"

Year. After year. After year.

Enough is enough. No matter how much you love your wife, if she spends every summer threatening to leave you and drags the gut-wrenching decision out for months each time, LET HER GO.

And you know what? It isn't disrespectful. Not on the Packers part, not on Brett's. Letting him move on doesn't mean we don't appreciate all he's done (and all we paid him for, btw, with heaps of both love and money).

Nor does his leaving for another team sully his name. Ruth finished with the Boston Braves, Molitor with the Twins, Emmitt Smith with Arizona, Joe Montana with Kansas City. Do you think any less of them, or see them wearing any of those jerseys in their respective Halls?

The Packers have already deemed Aaron Rodgers as their starter, and ixnaying that will in all likelihood ruin the guy for us. Not the end of the world. With word of Favre's 'retirement' we spent two draft picks on quarterbacks. Not the end of the world if they are wasted.

But none of that should happen. If the Pack is destined to lose 12 games it's going to happen anyway. I think the Packers over-performed in '07 myself. They're probably due for a drop down to reality. We're always going to wonder if the next QB is going to be a flop or the next Steve Young.

 I say we get going and find out.

[BTW as for Brett: with no sarcasm or wise-ass intended, go get some anti-depressants. A healthy person does not look or act as you have for the last few off-seasons, and he does not go around retiring out of depression only to regret it and make everyone's life difficult months later.

I don't know if it's because of your Dad's death, your wife's cancer, or whatever, but get some help. I know what I'm talking about - please, ask for help. ]

*granted, not a very good tribute. But unlike the majority of Wisconsin men, I am not in man-love with Brett.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I was dismayed to read about this today.  My opinion is he should have retired with grace and dignity.  There are few athletes that can come out of retirement and do well (a.k.a., Jordan).

I hope he changes his mind again.

BTW - Go Cubbies :o)

Anonymous said...

I saw Jordan mentioned below...that's exactly what I said a few weeks ago when it first broke word on Sports Center.  Give it up already, Favre.  Nobody likes a whiner....especially not in football.  Exhibit A: T.O.  Personally, these days I have little tolerance for the antics of grown men who are payed multi-million dollar YEARLY salaries to play a sport and still have a complaint.  

They've got Romo coming up in dallas, being pitched as having a Brett Favre style...Favre has rolled in his glory long enough.  There is fresh blood out there ready to play ball...let's see what these kids can do.

I have a personal issue against Favre, great player but I dated a guy that looked just like him...leaves a bad taste every time I see him.  That aside, I think his in and out of retirement is assinine. (assanine?! hmm)  As it would be for anyone.  Stick with a decision.  And thank the goal post gods for not letting him back with the Packers...what I haven't heard though is who is looking to pick him up...hmmm.  LOL...New England could always use a new QB ;)~  

Have a great Sunday~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

I think you did a very nice piece on Brett, he is retired and he should find something else to do....

This makes him more of a whinner and takes the shine off of his name....

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen anyone mention one way or the other? Hasn't he received any offers to be an announcer or even a coach (starter even or something) anywhere? Maybe he thought all that would come & it isn't. I will say in defense if you actually love what you do (I know many in society do not!) it is hard because you are almost defined by it by yourself even. You don't know what else to do. That is really difficult. Just simply not doing the routine of what you do it hard. I was off for 9 weeks with my foot surgery & it was very difficult to not be in the classroom! People think retirement is great you'll just relax & do anything you want each day when you wake up...doesn't work out great that way. Even Troy Aikman is in my students happiness video after he won the superbowl saying, "Is that all there is?" it doesn't always live up to what you think & so then you want to go out & achieve more.

Heck...why doesn't he write a book...it can be a tell all! HA!

And BTW...don't be bumping HOWIE out for him to be an announcer. If I can't get my fix of drooling over Howie each week someone is going to have to answer to me! HA! ;-)