google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The 25th Grandpa's Day and my new Bike

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2008

The 25th Grandpa's Day and my new Bike

Today is Grandpa's Day, the anniversary of a road trip I took with my maternal Grandpa in 1983, two weeks before he died in his sleep.

No big trip today (the planned expedition was instead completed Monday; I'll post about it soon). Instead I spent the day trying out my new bike, the first one I've ever purchased on my own and only the second of my life.

Remember how on our trip up north I rode a bike for the first time in 25 years? Well since then I've been itching to go biking again, and coupled with my now three-week old diet plan I figured what the hell. So yesterday the family (plus my youngest Milwaukee niece) went out to Wal-Mart and I picked out a Schwinn Moon Dog Cruiser bike.

Afterwards we went out to dinner (don't worry - I had broiled fish) and Lisa stopped off at Target to get the two oldest girls new bikes of their own. (the 2nd set of their lives, the lucky dogs.)

Here is by far the single most embarrassing, dorky picture in the history of this blog - me and my new bike.

Yes, I caved and bought a helmet, and one for the kids. It's the law (a stupid, totalitarian law that's a slippery slope to dictatorship, but I digress) and besides, my kids have had enough stitches for one summer.

The bike handled my weight well and was very comfortable. Yeah, it looks retro or old manish, depending on your point of view.. I agree. But I dig it, although despite my initial thoughts on the matter I really don't care for the coaster brakes.

By the third time around the block I was at full speed, although corners still gave me shivers.

(I hope YaYa remembers and appreciates that her Dad and Mom went biking with her, since it's a memory I don't share from my childhood. LuLu didn't go around the block. She was too busy having a hissy fit over something or another)

Once Lisa left for work I walked with the kids to the nearest Walgreens, about half a mile down, and then had dinner. I then took them all to South Milwaukee to pick up a bike trailer off of Craigslist so that Smiley and Lauren can join in the fun in the future.

Not a bad 25th Grandpa's Day after all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helmet is hard to see, but the stuff in the spokes is "styling."

Glad you got a bike and will be able to have some fun with the kids. :o)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new bike! My initial thought was, "Wow, that is so cool and retro!" The word old-mannish didn't occur to me at all.

Wow, it's the law to wear bike helmets? That bites. But then we're very rural and have very little traffic when I ride around here.

Enjoy! And remember, if you accidentally fall off, hop up just like PeeWee Herman and say, "I meant to do that."

Beth

Anonymous said...

Well IL is pathetic on helmet laws...we are one of few that do not even require them for motorcycles! Ugh! I think we have a Senator though who has a big campaign on them because his son died skateboarding without one.  I have a sporty more bike...more trails I guess. Been hanging in my garage since my foot injury. I'd like to get it down before snow comes. HA! I'm treadmilling an hour now so pretty soon. I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Great on you,,, You look quite the bike boy now !!!  It is one of the great exercises I think and will do you nothing but good and will be great for the kids as well to have you as a role model..  Did I tell you my niece Beth is training at the moment for a cycle ride from London to Paris  was speaking to her last night and she was saying she had done 40 miles last week (in the pouring rain !!) and today is doing 50 over the Mendip Hills.. She has raised over £1000 already so is very pleased with herslef. She is doing it for The Jubilee Sailing Trust It is a charity that makes it possible for disabled and able bodied to sail the Tall ships as equals..I had a marvellous trip on the Lord Nelson a few years ago.  It was hard work but great fun.  Love for now  sybil x

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but look at that smile!  Now, you've got me thinking about getting  mine out.  It's a little dusty, but.....  :)

Bet you'll have a good time riding around with the kids!  Enjoy!
                                                                                            :)  Leigh

Anonymous said...

 I love my bike and had the same smile when I got it.  Ride on, its fun.


                  Julie

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a dorky photo at all.  Good for you.  I too am trying to get some weight off these old bones but riding a bike (or any exercise for that matter) is a problem for me.  Good luck with that.  Enjoy your new bike and the when you pass your neighbors house with the kids yell Woo Hoo real loud...LOL.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at bikes at Target the other day.  Pey needs a new one (dude, she's been through 4 in 6 years) and damn if I don't just think that those new Schwinns (like yours!) are too freaking cool for words.

I think it's a great idea.  I love the memories of my parent's "playing" with us :)  Good times.

Anonymous said...

Love the bike, send me an email as to the cost....I would love one with coaster breaks....You look so cool and retro....:)

The kids will have fun with you and the trailer for the bike...:)   I'm green with envie...

Jeanne