google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Hancock - A review

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hancock - A review

                       

After two posts on death and/or murder, time for something different.

Here's a rarity these days - I loved this movie and have no complaints.

Hancock is  a careless, alcoholic, bitter superhuman who leaves an accidental trail of destruction wherever he goes. Jason Bateman is a P.R. man who is rescued by Hancock from certain death and as a thank you tries to ease him back into the good graces of society. Bateman's wife however, played by CharlizeTheron, seems to want nothing to do with Hancock and there may be more there than meets the eye.

I thought the movie was well written, successfully straddling a line between satire and spoof (think, I don't know, Blazing Saddles vs. Scary Movie 3) while keeping a serious and thoughtful movie running at the same time.

 I think the premise was solidly introduced, and unlike some reviewers I was satisfied with the backstory that unfolded. Some reviewers also strongly objected to the big twist in the film. Maybe it was just a good guess on my part, but I thought the movie hinted at something amiss and I saw it coming (as did Lisa). Let me amend that statement: we suspected it could be true, but were still suprised when it occurred.

Was the ending rushed a bit? Sure, I'll bite on that. But the acting was superb, the concept grand, and the writing sharp.

It's a movie I'll wind up buying on DVD. For me ('he who owns 6-10 purchased DVD's') that's saying a whole lot.

3 and 1/3 stars, 82 out of 100.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I  haven't seen it yet but it's on my Netflex list.  Looking forward to it.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

It's Charlize Theron... :)  Unless I'm mistaken.. which I could be.  Estela

Anonymous said...

Interesting review...one of the few you would buy...well, get it, and watch it again...then let us know...lol Glad you enjoyed!