google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Walking Stick

Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2008

The Walking Stick

Those of you who've followed this blog for awhile will remember our fondness for (non-pest) insects. In the last year we've had a walking stick and a praying mantis, crickets, lightning bugs, and a mantis egg sack that regrettably never hatched.

Still, when the business manager motioned for me to come with her down the hall, her cell attached to her ear in a serious conversation, I was thinking it was a solemn work issue. Instead, God bless her, she pointed to a large walking stick on the ceiling and continued her conversation.

There are perks to working on a property adjacent to eight acres of woodland.

I captured it in a vase, put plastic wrap over the top and took it home with me.

The kids were thrilled, especially YaYa.

Look carefully at the next photo and you'll see the walking stick in her hair, having just crawled off her cheek.

She took it with her to visit her Grandma, promising to look up its diet online overnight.

* * * *
The morning after that 3.2 mile ride I spent the day at work  sore and achey-breaky up and down my legs. Even so when I went home I loaded up Smiley and LuLu and biked to and from the library (1.4 miles roundtrip). I'd wanted to take Lu alone, believing she was due some 'alone time', but Smiley really wanted to go.

It was no easier than the day before, although the kids were great this time out, but I had to do it: I was afraid if I didn't I'd retire the bike rather than face another work-out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walking Stick is way cool :o)
Keep up with the bike rides, you will soon get used to them...

Anonymous said...

it could have hatched before you even found it, the praying mantis egg sack that is,:  When hatching, the young crawl from between tiny flaps in the cases and hang from silken threads about 2" below the case. After drying out, the long-legged young disperse into the vegetation leaving no evidence of their appearance. This happens within an hour or two, and it's very difficult to know hatching has occurred unless the elusive, well camouflaged young are found. (The egg case does not change appearance in any way.) If you'd like to see when the mantis have hatched, place the egg cases in a paper bag, fold the top and seal shut with a paper clip or clothes pin. Place the bag on a window sill in direct sunlight. Periodically open the bag carefully, and when you see tiny mantids running around inside, take them outside and sprinkle them throughout the garden. Be patient - sometimes it takes up to eight weeks of warm weather for them to hatch.

We found one too and after a while just put it back outside!



Sharon

Anonymous said...

the walking stick is cool!



Sharon

Anonymous said...

Good gracious Dan  I might have runa mile i I seen that walking stick insect !!  We don't have such beasties here.  I am not really a beasties fan  LOL  I think your kids are great being so good around them...Keep up with the bike riding it will pay dividens in the end.   Love to all Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Oh cool!  I prefer the Big bugs voer the little creepy crawly ones.  
                                                                           
Hang in there on the bike!  It really is great fun
                                                                                      :)  Leigh

Anonymous said...

Very cool walking stick.  Who else would have captured it and taken it home?  ME!
I'm the one that captures spiders and crickets that end up in my apartment and take them outside and let them go.  I love that you did that and glad you got back on your bike.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I love walking sticks--I think they're such a cool critter and so perfectly camouflaged!

A couple of years ago, there was a family in a nearby small town who cut down a Christmas tree at a farm. About a week after they'd had the tree inside, they had baby mantises everywhere! Since it was winter, they couldn't put them outside, but they kept several in a fish tank. I think they lived for quite a while, too!

Beth

Anonymous said...

girls that play with bugs are awesome :)  

way to get back on the horse!  

Anonymous said...

Minds me of the camp song: They go wild, simply wild, over me/Every cockroach, woodtick and flea...

Glad you worked out the aches the next day. Three days off will stiffen your hips, knees, spine like a collection of deadwood.

;^) Jan the Gryphon.