google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Can a three year old master chopsticks? Our trip to Benihana

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Can a three year old master chopsticks? Our trip to Benihana

Ever since my birthday in March I've been telling the family I'd take them to Benihana . Last Friday, following Smiley's evaluation, I made good on the promise.

The Milwaukee Benihana's is located downtown, right on the riverfront. We parked in their underground garage, which was a bit hit with the kids because it offered a view of the river.

Photobucket

We went at lunch time to take advantage of the discounted rates and smaller crowds, and were seated alone at our hibachi table. We ordered the lunch special: steak and chicken, fried rice, veggies and salad for Lisa and I, french fries, chicken and fried rice for the kids. (have you ever seen french fries cooked on a hibachi grill?)

Photobucket

Photobucket

For an appetizer we ordered warm bean pods - their name momentarily escapes me - and I was worried the kids would turn up their noses at them. Instead they greedily attacked them, each one creating a pile of discarded pods on their plate. They actually ate more of that then their chicken. Huh. Whodathunkit?

As to the chopsticks, they all did pretty well with them (helped by the fact that the chopsticks were joined together and not separated). Smiley, however, showed an exceptional knack, picking up items as small as a tiny clump of rice and flipping it into his mouth. Of the three he ate the most and was willing to try anything we put in front of him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The kids loved the onion volcano

Photobucket

and marveled at the creation of their dinner

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a good time and a great lunch, marred only by the bill at the end. Yikes. Thank God it was a payday.

I knew there was a reason I've only been there twice in my life.

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Glad that you had a chance to honor your promise. I love the Benihana type environment. How cool that they are all learning chopsticks :o)

Beth said...

Sounds like a great lunch! I LOVE teppan steak houses, and wish we had more around here.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of smiley, he is in aww of all that is going on, and great that he used the chop sticks....

Intereting that they ate all the food, kids tend to be picky....

Yea the bill is high, haven't been there because of the price and my picky husband...

Jeanne