google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Rambles

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rambles

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings with my post about the Cubs. I'm not retracting it, since I still felt the emotions I wrote about, but in hindsight I might have been a bit more diplomatic, even if it was all in fun.

* * * *

In the latest issue of People (Newman cover, NKOTB two-page spread inside) Jon and Kate Gosselin, parents of twins AND sextuplets and stars of Jon and Kate plus Eight, say that they want to adopt another child.

I'm all for kids and the more the merrier, but the eight in their show's title includes at least one little girl who is bitter and jealous of her six newsworthy siblings (aka the YaYa of the bunch). Adding another child to the mix won't diminish those feelings and I think that's something they need to consider.

Or they could tell me and everyone else to F off and do what they want. Fine by me.

* * * *

For the record, once again, I am not interested in endorsing anyone for that congressional seat. I don't like Moore and almost anyone's an improvement, but I just wanted to make people aware of an additional option on the ballot.

* * * *

Regarding that congressional race, you'll notice one of the 'issues' listed on Sebring's website is term limits for politicians. Generally I'm against term limits. I don't want to go into the rationale here, as it can get longwinded, but an easy answer is: you want them out, vote them out.

Rather, my point is to bring up my continued exasperation with the arguement that our political forefather were men who took up the yoke of leadership as an obligation to their country and then discarded it, as 'proper', to go back to a 'normal' life.

What crap. Washington, for all the fanfare over his self-determined two term limit, was a leader in the employ of either Great Britain or the Colonies/US during a huge chunk of his life. John Quincy Adams served as President and then had a lengthly career in the House. Lincoln spent much of his adult life either in office or in the quest to be in office. Face facts: most of the great figures in our nation's history have devoted their lives to one office or another. 

I don't thinkthere's anything wrong with that, in and of itself. Even if you disagree, at the very least stop using those figures as a misguided ideal when pitching term limits.

End of rant.

* * *

I was just watching a show on HGTV, Property Virgins I think, and the featured young couple was dismayed when their lender refused to give them a loan without an additional downpayment on the $500,000 home they wanted. They promptly got a loan on their terms from another lender. The male half of the couple made a point of bragging about the new lender and how 'experience in this business really pays off'.

Ladies and gentlemen, while this couple may be financially solvent to their dying day, may I present to you a perfect example of how the mortgage crisis came to pass .You're 24-25 and want to buy a half million dollar home. You don't qualify under the terms you were hoping to get. Instead of backing off and considering the wisdom of stretching your finances, you go and find a yahoo who will hand the money out without concern for your ability to pay.

The pot calling the kettle black, I know. Back in 2006 there was no reason in the world for someone to hand over house keys to me, not while I was still in the midst of repairing some credit miscues.

The bubble worked in my favor, and I acknowledge that fact. I wouldn't go back in time and tell them 'no thanks', but I can still point out the foolishness of the lenders that pulled the trigger.

And apparently they were fools - they went under six months ago.

* * * *
Why did Ty Pennington become so popular? I've been watching old Trading Spaces episodes and in every one in which he appears he's gruff, behind schedule, and taking shortcuts on his projects. I know he's considered 'cute' - he's not - but is that really enough to have overcome his faults?

I guess so, eh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the Gosselins want to adopt another child either....yikes. My third child, bless his little heart, nearly put me over the edge. How one earth.... Well, if you can not have enough time for 8, you can have not have enough time for 9. What is one more to emotionally neglect? On another note, I always love reading your political point of view on things as I think you and I feel similarly on many issues. Hard to find in San Francisco. You almost have to draw a fish in the sand before you open up as people here are ultra liberal. I mean ULTRA. As for that ty whateverhisnameis, he looks like a badger. He is not only not cute, but not a good contractor/carpenter.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your assessment of Ty Pennington. And I do not watch (Housing) Extreme Makeovers because of him.  Regarding loans, Early in our marriage we got a loan for a new car that we really needed but really couldn't afford.  We paid for that mistake for a long time... but what I remember is that at one point we tried to refinance and a loan officer at our bank refused us... told us that whomever approved us for that car did us "no favors"... that statement has stuck with me through out the years.  Anyway.. loved your rants here, I agree with you on all except term limitations.   Estela (although I do agree with your history)

Anonymous said...

what?!  those folks want *another* kid.  Peyton loves that show and I've seen a little of it....from what I see, they don't need another kid.  They're always complainging about not having enough room or free time... Maybe they inhaled too much cheerio dust.

I think passion in your work is admirable...even in politicians and lawyers.  If they're able to keep the votes to stay in office, they must be doing something right...or be really good at flying under the radar ;)

The loan stuff these days is RIDICULOUS!  I know so many people my age or younger in homes they can in NO way afford and couldn't when they got the loan.  But if they fudged a few numbers and moved a few decimals they got it.  One friend is stuck in a home she hates with not 1, but 2 mortgages taken out on it...another is sitting in foreclosure, they couldn't sell it in this market.
Frankly, I'm glad banks are cracking down...it's about time we all lived in reality as far as finances are concerned...we can't all live like hollywood millionaires.

You have a good week up there...
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Glad that People has put the Great Newman on their cover.  Very deserving :o)

Anonymous said...

I remember a few years back when the home interest rates dropped below 7%, an acquaintance, a divorced mother of 3, tried to get her house loan re-financed to drop her payments lower than $400. The bank told her she didn't qualify for a loan with lower payments... but they expected her to keep up her higher payments.

;^) Jan the Gryphon